I'm a quitter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrmjrm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, after sitting in the nitrite phase of a fishless cycle for about 6 weeks, I did a huge water change and got fish. I couldn't take it anymore. They seem to be doing well so far. I'll just have to monitor the nitrite levels and hope that the tank eventually cycles.

What is a safe number for nitrites? I did a PWC today because it was around .5ppm. I got it down to about .25ppm after the PWC. Is that a good range? I don't want to hurt the little fishies.

< .25. What size tank, what filtration, and what fish did you get?

If you could keep them down near 0.25 ppm that would be ideal.

if you have .5 ppm nitrites 50% wc going to leave you at .25. i would do a large wc each time. prob around 75%. you might also have to do wcs 2 times a day for now also. like the other said keep the ammonia and nitrite under .25ppm. if you do a wc and you are still at .25ppm you are not leaving your self room to let any more build up at reasonable safe levels.

It would be helful to know your tank size and the numbers and types of fish you have. If you have a low bioload it is easier to keep your nitrite levels low.

I've got a 29 gal. that is half cycled. Before I added the fish it was processing 4ppm ammonia in about 15 hours, so ammonia is no problem. It has been at 0ppm since I added the fish. The nitrite level is hovering around 0.5ppm right now, I'm going to go a PWC in a little while to lower it again. Since I've had the fish in there I've not let it go much above 0.5ppm. Currently residing in the tank I have 6 giant danios and 4 cory cats.

Update: It would appear that in less than a week my tank has finished its cycle. I added the fish last Weds. and last night and this morning the readings for ammonia and nitrites were at 0ppm with nitrates around 10ppm.

Back
Top Bottom