Impatient!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, should I wait a certain length of time after planting before adding my dwarf puffer?

Fluval spec 5G Tank set up yesterday, sand cleaned and will be getting plants today I think. I will be using filter media from my other tank, will add that before I get my fish.

Anything I have forgotten? Tips and advice always welcome, this is my first DP and first planted tank! Excited :)

Have access to pure ammonia? do a water test before/after adding a drop of pure ammonia to check the cycle, if the filter media is well seeded the ammonia will not read in 24 hours and neither will nitrites... otherwise you may have a mini-fish-in cycle.

if you do add him test your water as often as possible, or daily and do WCs to keep all levels low if readable

Thanks for replies, I don't have pure ammonia but did plan on testing and pwc daily if required...my seeded filter media looks disgusting, always a good sign and my current tank has 0 nitrite or ammonia :) think I am all set, driftwood been boiled and soaked and seems waterlogged now too. Can't wait to get some plants!!

Heehee if you were closer than Scotland I would give you my extra crypts taking over my 29... I'm on the West coast... Of North America. :p

I cycled pretty fast with plants and gravel which host bb as well, so ask around

Heehee if you were closer than Scotland I would give you my extra crypts taking over my 29... I'm on the West coast... Of North America. :p

I cycled pretty fast with plants and gravel which host bb as well, so ask around

Now that would be a long trip for plants!! thanks though :) I just wish it was evening so my kids would be in bed, husband home from work.....so I can get to LFS!!!!!

I trust my lfs and that's where I got a big Anubias that went straight into my cycling tank, but look closely for any signs of disease on fish in he tank with the plants, and look to see if the tanks are all on a central type filter and look for disease in every tank as a precaution. A good lfs will at least be treating ich if it shows up by isolating the fish in a QT marked NFS

My husband drops me off at local aquarium shops and goes to look at used music shops :) fair deal. He has more synths than I have tanks... For now!

I trust my lfs and that's where I got a big Anubias that went straight into my cycling tank, but look closely for any signs of disease on fish in he tank with the plants, and look to see if the tanks are all on a central type filter and look for disease in every tank as a precaution. A good lfs will at least be treating ich if it shows up by isolating the fish in a QT marked NFS

My husband drops me off at local aquarium shops and goes to look at used music shops :) fair deal. He has more synths than I have tanks... For now!

Yeah, the plants at this shop are all in tanks of their own, no fish...but probably hitchhikers like snails etc will be there?! I have seen them have quarantine tanks and no purchase policy signs up when new fish come in...all signs of responsible owners I think.

I just started another thread as I just tested my water and PH is 6!!! I don't want to add my wood now as that might lower it further?! My other tank is always 7.5 and water all comes from same place..
Do you think it's because it's empty and not cycled yet? Don't know if that makes a difference?

P.S sorry for picking your brains while I had your attention ;-) thanks x

Ph is not my area... Mine is always reliably 8.0-8.5 at two different houses in the past year

Yeah, the plants at this shop are all in tanks of their own, no fish...but probably hitchhikers like snails etc will be there?! I have seen them have quarantine tanks and no purchase policy signs up when new fish come in...all signs of responsible owners I think.

I just started another thread as I just tested my water and PH is 6!!! I don't want to add my wood now as that might lower it further?! My other tank is always 7.5 and water all comes from same place..
Do you think it's because it's empty and not cycled yet? Don't know if that makes a difference?

P.S sorry for picking your brains while I had your attention ;-) thanks x

With pH that low your tank won't cycle. Could you add some crushed coral or aragonite in a mesh bag, to your filter?

With pH that low your tank won't cycle. Could you add some crushed coral or aragonite in a mesh bag, to your filter?

I know!! What a pain, want to understand why it would be different from my other tank...did pwc on it last night and tested it today and is 7.5 as always?? Confused.com

I know!! What a pain, want to understand why it would be different from my other tank...did pwc on it last night and tested it today and is 7.5 as always?? Confused.com

Maybe just the driftwood is enough to make it go down. Have you tested nitrates? High nitrates will also lower pH.

Panic over, it seems my water takes a little while to gas off, now about ph of 7! phew!

Got it planted tonight....

image-3214905434.jpg

Nearly there!!

Looks so good. I wish I had went with sand. I have black gravel and some light round river stones. I need to post new pics as well. DP's are sensitive to water conditions so just make sure it is cycled before adding one. Just ask if you have any more questions, I've had my DP a while.

Looks so good. I wish I had went with sand. I have black gravel and some light round river stones. I need to post new pics as well. DP's are sensitive to water conditions so just make sure it is cycled before adding one. Just ask if you have any more questions, I've had my DP a while.

Lol, you might regret that offer! ;-) thank u, do you have plants?

Back
Top Bottom