Indian mudskipper tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosh96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many Indian mudskippers (P. Novemradiatus) can live comfortably in a 10-gallon tank? What about a 20-gallon?

in a 10 one can fit in a 20 two can fit. here is a picture of my 29 gal with 2 Malaysian Mudskippers Periophthalmus variabilis. I made my tank so i could have other fish below. The mudskipper never go in the water anyway, usually only up to their eyes.

Can you give me a good care sheet for mudskippers, from personal experience? What kind of food, temps, lighting, and cycling do they need? Is it true that they do better in small groups?

I dont have experience with them in groups just the two. they do get territorial when it comes to feeding. I feed mine mostly crickets but on occasion i give them meal worms. With meal worms i crush the heads and throw them in while they are still moving. I do this because meal worms can eat through the mudskippers stomach. They will eat any feeder bug/worm that fits in their mouths and im interested in trying flightless fruit flies but they would have to eat a lot of them. i usually only feed them 1-2 small crickets a day and they have been doing well. My SG is at 1.006-1.008. My tank temp is 80°F-82° F. The tank has a hood which causes it to be very humid which is how they like it. Think of them as amphibians. No special needs with lighting. When i first knew i was getting them i did not do things properly. I set up the tank and took filter media from a freshwater tank and tried seeding the brackish water tank with it overnight(wrong). I never had cloudy water or ammonia spikes or anything so i lucked out. The new tank they are in has been seeded using their old filter(correct). You can also cycle a freshwater tank and slowly bring up the SG, this allows the bacteria adjust to the salt. Remember to use marine salt and not aquarium salt. i had two of the filters so i put one in the tank(now they are both in). They have a high tolerance to most things because in the wild they have to deal with drastic changes in pH, specific gravity and other parameters.

This is them in their old tank. it was a ten gallon and it was temporary until i moved and got them a bigger tank.

i forgot to mention substrate. Use a sand that isnt coarse. I had pebbles that i covered in sand but the sand washed into the water.

YouTube - ‪Mudskipper hunting cricket‬‏

Back
Top Bottom