Indirect sunlight bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thras

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so where my tank sits it's getting some light hitting it through the blinds it's not direct sunlight but do u think it can/will cause algae

Ok thanks might put something up to cut down on the light some more anyway

thras said:
Ok thanks might put something up to cut down on the light some more anyway

I would think virtually any room with a window would cause sunlight to enter the fish tank...but as long as the sun isn't shining directly into your tank I wouldn't worry about it. If you started getting green water or any green algae breakouts, then it'd be time to look into other options.

Is it a new tank setup? If so, diatoms (brown algae) is very common in new tanks, so don't worry if you see that stuff, it's not related to the sunlight. Did you cycle your tank? Do you already have fish in it?

No it's not cycled yet I put water in it to test for leaks got some drift wood in it and the water is a brown color but it's real light so I put some carbon In to clean it up thinking the drift would leached day two and it hasn't soaked it up so must be brown algae but I plan on putting bottled water in because my water is a little to hard and the ph is at 8.2-8.4

thras said:
No it's not cycled yet I put water in it to test for leaks got some drift wood in it and the water is a brown color but it's real light so I put some carbon In to clean it up thinking the drift would leached day two and it hasn't soaked it up so must be brown algae but I plan on putting bottled water in because my water is a little to hard and the ph is at 8.2-8.4

Cool. Check out the guide in my signature. I, as most members on the site would, highly recommend you do a fishless cycle to get your tank all setup for your fish. Read it over and post any questions you have. Good luck :)

All ready read it and got the ace ammonia thanks for the information starting the cycle tomorrow or late tonight still have to set the tank up but got a appointment for my first tattoo so it will have to wait till later

thras said:
All ready read it and got the ace ammonia thanks for the information starting the cycle tomorrow or late tonight still have to set the tank up but got a appointment for my first tattoo so it will have to wait till later

Good deal. Feel free to post on the guide thread if you've got any questions. Good luck and hope the tat comes out good. See ya.

Back
Top Bottom