Initial setup - Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dottyb17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys... Completely new to all this but looking forward to getting my first fish!

Just set up my tank but forgot to wash my gravel! The water is pretty murky at present... will the filter clear it up or shall I empty the water and re fill?

Cheers!

Welcome to AA! I would leave it and let the filter clear it, but you could empty it since you have no fish in it? Are you planning on doing a fishless cycle? This article explains the fishless cycle, and this article gives you tips and tricks on how to speed that cycle up.

What size tank do you have?

I've got a tank of round 17gallons (only a small one to start).

The fishless cycle doesn't seem right for me as I'm gonna run a freshwater tank. I have bought something called nutrafin cycle to speed up the process, I have fluval 2plus internal filter and a heater.

Any other advice for what I could do tonight as I'm all excited and wanna make sure I'm doing everything right!

Fishless cycles work for both SW and FW, so don't discount it since the article refers to SW a little bit. THe process is the same for both.

so I take it I shouldn't be out buying some raw shrimp... Should I?

Either raw shrimp or pure ammonia will work, the ammonia is a bit faster, just make sure to get pure ammonia without any soaps.

Yeah, be very careful if you go the ammonia route. No soaps, no dyes, no scents/perfumes, and no surfactants. Ace hardware carries a 10% solution that is okay to use, if that helps. If you know someone with an established tank that can donate some used media (filter, gravel, etc) that already has the good bacteria on it, it will help tremendously in kickstarting your cycle. Just make sure, if you go this route, no fish. The toxic levels will be too high for them during your cycle.

Right... I have just refilled my tank... I have Nutrafin cycle and nutrafin aqua plus (water conditioner). Should I add these now?

I'm not familiar with those, but the water conditioner I assume removes chlorine/chloramine and maybe some metals? That you should definately add any time you add water to the tank (initial, and with each PWC as well).

I can't speak for the cycle stuff.

Cycle does not work. If you can, return it to the lfs.

The pure ammonia method is the fastest approach to cycling a tank without the use of seeded material. It is MUCH easier and faster than cycling with fish.

Why do you say that? I know your probably a pro at this as I am just learning, but it says if I use it I can add 'hardy' fish in 48hrs

It claims to have bacteria that will be activated once you add an ammonia source (the fish). It has been tried by countless people and I can not think of a single person that it has worked for. Bio Spira is the only product that has been known to work. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. As long as the lfs keeps it refrigerated and you take it immediately home (keeping it cold), it should work.

OK... I re filled the water and it is still very murky. I know I am a newbie and some of my questions will be stupid, but how long will the water stay murky or is there something else I need to be doing? (I'm so impatient!)

I'll also be adding some more Gravel.... Any advice on the best way to clean it prior to adding it to the tank?

I use buckets to clean my gravel. First, do you have FISH ONLY buckets? By this I mean they have never been used for ANYTHING other than clean water (no soap, cleaning products etc...).
I put about 5 inches of gravel in the bucket and fill with warm tap water (I do this in the bathtub so I don't make a mess). I stick my hand all the way to the bottom of the bucket and move the gravel around for a couple minutes. Then dump the water and repeat. If you have artificially colored gravel, you may need to repeat quite a few times. I put the gravel in the tank manually, handfuls at a time. Then fill the tank and add dechlorinator. Your tank is already filled, so I would just add a little dechlorinator to your tank to neutralize the chlorine and other tap water contaminants.

When we used gravel I would put it in a strainer in the kitchen sink. Running water over it for a few minutes. Then just dump it in the tank.

Thanks guys. I left it overnight and its much clearer today. Gonna buy some more gravel today, so I'll make sure I clean it all properly this time before dumping it in!

Back
Top Bottom