Insanely fast cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's the substrate. You used substrate that is prepopulated with bb. As you've seen, it isn't as instant as the labeling implies but Im curious to see how it pans out for you.

That was really the only possibility I could see, but I've heard so many people dismiss the bb in that substrate that I did as well. I'll surely keep sharing my experience.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That was really the only possibility I could see, but I've heard so many people dismiss the bb in that substrate that I did as well. I'll surely keep sharing my experience.

There are lots of bb in the substrate as each tiny piece of gravel under a microscope contains lots of surface area. I'm not saying there is more on the gravel but there is still a huge amount anywhere that there is a surface area for the bb to grow on.

I'm sure freshness and storage conditions count. Leave it in freezing weather overnight and you'll have dead bb. But maybe you got a good bag. (y)

Ammo: 0 ppm
TrIte: 2 ppm
TrAte: 80-160 ppm (darker than 80 but nowhere near dark enough to be 160)

I have work tonight and 1st thing tomorrow morning. I'll try to get a trIte test in before I leave and maybe re dose the ammo to 4 ppm if I have time.

Sunday night
TrIte: 0 ppm
Didn't test Trate

Added 3 ppm Ammo.

Monday
~afternoon
Trite: 1 ppm
TrAte: 80-160 ppm

After 24 hrs of 4 ppm ammonia

Trite: 0 ppm

Adding 4 ppm again tonight.

~Noon
Trite: 5.0+ ppm
Trate: 80-160 ppm

~evening
Trite: 0 ppm
Trate: 180 ppm

It seems like it's all done cycling. Hrm. I'm gonna keep the testing going.

I would continue testing. When you are seeing nitrites, how long before hand did you add ammonia?

I've been adding ammonia before bed and testing around 12 hours later. I feel asleep before I added the ammo last night, though. I can find a more accurate time frame today. No work.

I added 4 ppm ammonia a half hour ago and just tested.
Ammo: 4 ppm
TrIte: .25 ppm

I'll test again soon to get a better idea of the rate nitrites are being produced.

That's pretty good results. I wonder what the rate is suppose to be to be considered cycled? I know ammo doesn't just disappear

You do know that the fish don't hold it all day and then everybody poops at once, right? :D

You're done. Get some fish!

I have no idea. Maybe someone more informed can chime in about that.

I think if your tank can remove all the ammo within 24 hours your safe. If you dosed ammo to 4ppm and by tomorrow at this time there is no ammo nor nitrites your safe to say you are for sure cycled

Haha I'm aware! I will be, soon. I'm actually planning on housing African dwarf frogs. The speed of this cycle was unexpected. All of the places I found them before are all out of stock. I've been assuming the weather was keeping shipments away. I'll be asking my preferred lfs to order some for me if possible. It's finally not so cold that a breeze hurts! Haha

Back
Top Bottom