Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shramp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I thought I'd give a little introduction! I have recently got into fishkeeping after offering to take some fish from a friend who was moving. I received a 5 gallon tank with 2 male and 2 female redeye tetras, 1 female and 2 male ember tetras, a female dalmatian molly, a female bronze cory, 1 neon orange tetra (idk how to tell its gender when I don't have others to compare it to), 3 ghost shrimp (honestly idk at all how to tell what gender they are) and 1 tiger nerite snail.

I had no idea what fish I'd be receiving until I got them and even then my friend wasn't sure what fish she had to be able to tell me so it has been a learning curve, so any advice as to their care would be definitely appreciated!! I immediately went out and bought a 37 gallon tank for them and cycled it following what protocol I found online in regards to the nitrogen cycle and all and also put java ferns, amazon swords and anubia petite in there. It also has a large (fake of course) coral and a big cave that provide good hiding places too.

My ultimate goals for the tank is to have 12 ember tetras, my dalmatian molly (I read that they are ok being the only molly as long as they have other fish companions? Please correct me if this is wrong), 6 of the bronze cories, 6 of the neon orange tetras, and a rubber lip pleco in the tank. So far I have added 10 cherry shrimp and 10 amano shrimp but unfortunately have lost 3 cherry shrimp already (which I discussed in a post I made earlier). I plan on adding the fish only a few at a time waiting for the tank to stabilize each time. The redeye tetras will be going in my fiance's 20 gallon tank in a school of 7 because I didn't want to overcrowd my tank. The ghost shrimp and snail will be staying in the 5 gallon to help maintain it as a future quarantine tank and also because the snail might climb out of the lidless 37 gallon and the shrimp may just die or be too hard to catch.

Do my tank plans sound ok? Thanks in advance for any advice! My fiance and I have gotten super into fish keeping since receiving these fish and we want to give them the best care possible. :fish2:

I just discovered pink ramshorn snails and think they are so pretty. I realize they can breed like crazy. I see that cory catfish can eat their eggs so would I be fine to add like 5 of them after I have my full school of cories in? I figure if the cories end up not being able to control the population I can always get a couple of assassin snails. Unless all of those snails will just climb out of my tank too. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom