Is a 1.0 nitrite spike normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laracorp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started a new 55gl. tank and marineland 350 HOB the first week of April since then ive had an amazing 4 yr old albino cory and 2 goldfish from the fair and one from petsmart. Since then the three goldfish have slowly died unfortunately. About 2 weeks ago I set up a sun sun 302 and sponge bubble filter. Since the gold fish died, I have been doing small daily water changes and gravel vacuums every couple of days. I've also been testing the water almost daily and today is the day where I finally see 0 ammonia but about 1.0 ppm nitrite and what I believe to be 0- 0.5 nitrates. Is this a sign of my cycle finally completing and I shouldn't worry? Or is there something keeping my nitrate producing bacteria from growing? And also why did it take so long for me to see these changes in my water? I now have 4 tiny albino corys and the 4 yr old and 3 baby angel fish, it is a planted tank with black gravel some boiled drift wood and boiled sea shells to balance the acidity from the wood and gravel.

Current tank status:
Ammonia- 0
Ph- 6.8-7.0
Nitrite- 1.0
Nitrate- 0- 0.5

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom