is a greenish haze bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The aquarium I bought had an algae problem. We got it home, scrubbed it and all the filter components with a light bleach solution. Then we filled it and started the cycle. It has since become cloudy (sort of like bacterial bloom) but it is a greenish haze.

The aquarium is a 75 gallon. I figured continuing with the cycling process and getting the water right will help. Should I do a water change or leave it be?

Currently Ammonia 4, Nitrates/Nitrites 0 and Ph 8.2

Thanks!

It's an algae bloom. If there are no fish in the tank, if it were me, I'd probably not do the water change and continue with the cycling process. Others might advise otherwise, let's see what happens.

Is the tank near a window?

How long are the lights left on? You could try cutting back on the lights and that might help reduce the bloom.

Ok. We were wondering since bacteria blooms are usually white and cloudy. No fish. It is near a front door with a window but very indirect light It is a north facing door. IMHO it doesn't get much at all.

We haven't been lighting the aquarium. I think it may have come from some of the previous owners decorations so I am rebleaching them.

What do you recommend for the filter? It is an eheim canister. All new filter parts or just replace sponges (that were too full of algae). The rest of the bacterial bed we clean and assumed the algae won't damage.

Thanks!
Jana

Back
Top Bottom