Is anything friendly with Betas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got2ryd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First post! First fish! Well, kinda. I asked my hubby to get a female Beta for his tank. He got 4. They are now the {mod edit} Beta 4 and are terrorizing his sucker fish.

I suggested flushing or getting a new, smaller tank. RELAX, the tank won out. And now I'm a convert!

They are still in his tank as I'm cycling mine--correctly--thanks to this forum :)

It's only 15 gallons, it's tall. Not the regular rectangle size. Anything else I could add?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. I know several members keep female better together. It's called a sorority. I'm not a betta expert though so maybe someone else could chime in with tankmates.

Not really. You could try a school of fush but the tank is a little small. I suggest getting a 20 long or 29g. You can do a betta sorority, multiple female bettas. Or one or two female bettas and a school of some kind of tetras or barbs etc...

Welcome!!

Not getting a bigger tank. If all I can do is the 4 betta, then so be it. Wouldn't be a big deal.

Note: put all 4 female bettas in at the same time, If they start fighting DO NOT take out the bully. Only take out the injured betta. By removing the bully the other bettas would fight so see who's the dominate betta till the death.

I don't know about adding other fish, but you can probably add a snail or two. Zebra nerite snails are good algae cleaners and look nice, too.
I'm no expert but maybe you could add one more female betta? 'Cause I have heard that they do best in odd-numbered groups. I don't know if it is true, since i have never kept a betta sorority.

Back
Top Bottom