Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is Betta fish suitable for a comunity tank?

I Am starting 25g planted community tank. Plan so far is to fill it with 7-8 cardinal tetras, around 10 red cherry shrimps, 5 panda corrys or other small corrys and few hatchet fish. As a main "attraction" I was going to buy couple of dwarf gouramies but recently I read a lot of bad opinions about them. People complain about them getting sick and dying very quickly. Bad breed or something. In meantime I thought about Betta fish instead of gourami. I know my son would love that Question: is it ok to have Betta with community fish like tetras, hatchet fish and corrys? I don't know much about bettas and I always see them being alone in a tank. Is it possible to have two of them in a community tank? Would that be safe? If not, what other fish you suggest (around 3 inches big and some nice colors that can live in a group of two or three)
Thanks for advise.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go with a Gourami. It all depends on the Betta's personality if it is aggressive or not. My Gourami is semi-agressive, sometimes he chases the fish if they get too close. My Powder Blue has done quite well, I would say he is very hardy!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I agree with redsea, depends on the temperment of the Betta. I would go with a gourami as well, but they do have a high chance if getting sick and not many live from the disease. But aside from that, they're very colorful and have a lot of personality!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I haven't ever had problems with the regular bettas, but my wilds devoured cherry shrimps like delicious tiny $6 steaks.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadey
I haven't ever had problems with the regular bettas, but my wilds devoured cherry shrimps like delicious tiny $6 steaks.
So, did Betta eat them? :-0
Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep, eated them all up. ;; But they are wild-caught betta mahachai, so they were used to eating live food.

I put the bettas in a different tank, and it turns out that the cherry shrimp had babies, I guess. So technically I have more than I started with now, but all of the original ones I bought got eaten.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Bettas, also known as Chinease Fighting fish are breed for aggression. Two male bettas or a male and female in the same tank will always battle eventually. They also tend to pick on any other fish in the system that has bright colors or large bright fins. Generally speaking they do not make a great community fish, unless kept with other fish that are fairly aggressive.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

My brother bought a Plakat 5 star betta and threw it into my tank while I was out. Came home to the betta attacking my GBR but left other community fish alone. I assume the GBR has the same features of a betta that's why he was going after them.

Tags
betta, betta fish, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com