Is it cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xena45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 15G tall tank has been set up for about 3 months ago, and I've been cycling with 3 female bettas. They've been happy and healthy throughout the process. I've done gazillions of water changes.

Today, I tested it and got 0 for both ammonia and nitrite (YAY!), but I don't see any readings at all for nitrate. okay, maybe it's a very strong yellow (i.e, zero, on the freshwater master test kit card), but nowhere near orange (which woud put it at 5 mg/L, I think).

This has been slow going, but it seemed like everything was going as it should be: I had ammonia for a while, then nitrite for a long while, and now they're both gone. But shouldn't I have a nitrate reading now?

I did add 3 walmart plant bulbs three or so weeks ago, and the plants are now approximately 8 inches tall, so they've been growing like crazy. Would that effect the nitrate reading?

Is the tank finally cycled now?

Can I get a dwarf gourami to live with the girls? my ph is high... can they deal with that? they're so pretty......

Thanks!

X

From the sounds of it, you are cycled and your plants are just eating up the nitrates. I personally wouldn't worry about it.

As for the gourami, I personally feel it wouldn't be a problem.

Plants absorb nitrate so it's not unusual to get a 0 reading. That is one of the benefits of a planted tank...no worries about the three badies whatsoever. :D

Back
Top Bottom