Is it worth persueing with a 29L tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

Currently at a bit of a standstill with regards to my indoor tank. Its a mere 29L (6gal) Nano tank and it used to hold my 4 goldfish (overstocked i know!) but they are now in the pond so I'm eying up my option on what to do with it.

Now i can appreciate it is a very small tank and probably borderline whether or not it can/should hold fish so this is where i need your help.

At most i would be looking at a few small Neons, maybe 4 or 5 just to add a bit of life to it, as i am struggling to bring the parents round to a bigger tank :facepalm:

Do you think that would be acceptable or should i forget about the tank?

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy,

I would definitely keep the tank. You could do the neons or even a betta would be nice. No sense in getting rid of perfectly good equipment :)

:Welcome: to AA

Thanks for the welcome.

Took your advice (easily persuaded me!) and have just finished setting it up to start my first proper cycle now i have an indication what i actually need to do :)

Quite exciting really!

4-5 neons in a 6 gallon is ovestocked IMO and a bad idea for a few reasons neons need to be kept in a school of at least 6 to reduce stress also neons are very sensitive to the quality of their water and the smaller a tank is the less stable the conditions are. Definately keep the tank. A betta would be great for it i love my betta who i keep in a 5.5gallon he is one of my favorite fish. If you dont want a betta maybe you could try 2-3 endlers( all male or soon you will have 20-30 of them they breed like rabbits) and some red cherry shrimp.

Thanks for that, i was after some advice on stocking the tank :)

I'm not too struck on guppies or the Betta's personally so hopefully there are other small species that i can keep in low numbers.

I agree that neons would not be a good candidate for this tank. I would do a single betta or maybe make it a shrimp tank.

Actually you can get a few aphyosemion australe killies for that size tank. They've got some length but are really skinny fish. They actually recommend less than 5 gallons for them. Plus, they're beautiful. Short-lived though.

I did like the tetra embers in the LFS if thats what these are?

2150_04_09_08_6_54_53.jpg

The Killies are nice fish aswell, hoping to find a better stockist than the ones i have been too but i have plenty of time to research and make a decision :)

I agree on not going with Neons. They are active swimmers and wouldn't be happy in a small tank. You could do a single betta, or some killfish, or nano fish (ember tetra, celestial pearl danio, chili rasbora), or the endlers.

Thanks for the help guys, ill look into those, they do look nice!

Checked my ammonia levels today and after 3 days its dropped to around 1ppm so have dosed back up to 4 and will keep an eye on it, thinking its too early for things to start happening but we will see :)

Back
Top Bottom