Is my 20 gal overstocked ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UsePinkCrayons

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just wanted to know if my 20 gal is overstocked. Originally this tank was meant to be my breeder tank but my 29 gal is leaking and I'm low on funds so I can't replace it just yet :/ . But here's what I have:
4 mollies. 1m 3f
4 platies. 1m 3f
3 guppies. 1m 2f
4 albino cories.
Is this too many fish? I realize this tank will soon be over crowded with fry if it isn't already, so I'm getting my other spare tank ready and cycled (20gal too) . Should I immediately check out my thrift stores for a larger tank or will my fishies be OK until my next tuition payment?

Monitor the ammonia levels and keep up with water changes and they should be ok. 4 mollies technically fully stock a 20 gal, so they shouldn't be there long term. 3-4 weeks shouldn't kill them. To speed up your cycle, just hang the filter for the cycling tank on the running tank for a day, put it in the new tank, wait a few days, and add the mollies. The livebearers should eat most of the fry, and you can sell the rest in a few months.

Your fish should be ok for now, but I would suggest shopping for that upgrade as soon as you can. Adult mollies are fairly large fish (I've seen some in person that were about 5 inches and pretty bulky) and have a high bioload relative to their size. I would suggest a 29 gallon for them.

I think your stock list looks great as long as you are testing your water weekly and doing weekly pwc's. If your nitrates aren't exceeding 20 and everyone seems to have enough space than there is nothing to worry about....well besides the fry. I would have only one sex each of the livebearers or you will be overstocked in about..oh I don't know...5 minutes..lol ;)

Holy moly I didn't know that...I haven't seen one over 3 inches...20 gals definitely isn't big enough for 5" mollies!

+1 for severum mama. Mollies, platies, and swordtails can get pretty big. I've had female platies that were ~3" long and female swordtails that were ~4"-4.5" long. The males usually stay smaller.

+1 for severum mama. Mollies, platies, and swordtails can get pretty big. I've had female platies that were ~3" long and female swordtails that were ~4"-4.5" long. The males usually stay smaller.

Wow, 3 inch platy? Mine are only 2 inch at full adult size. I wonder if it's just inbreeding at the LFS? I have seen some huge swordtails and mollies, I wouldn't recommend them for under 29 gallons.

Usually it's better stock that gets bigger with the livebearers. There's an episode of that Planet Earth series where they show wild Yucatan mollies. The male has to be six inches long.

Wow, 3 inch platy? Mine are only 2 inch at full adult size. I wonder if it's just inbreeding at the LFS? I have seen some huge swordtails and mollies, I wouldn't recommend them for under 29 gallons.

I've kept 3 inch platies. I still think they're fine in a 20. :)

Back
Top Bottom