Is my cycle complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shancas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys i think my cycle is done can anyone advise me what to do next?

20 gallon tank, cycle was stalled a few weeks ago and after a water change it started again very fast.

Todays readings:

0 ammonia (down from 4ppm 3 days ago)
0 Nitrite
80 nitrate
6.4 ph

I dosed another 1ml ammonia after testing.

The only thing im worried about is the ph, the tanks for a big goldfish and i read they prefer a slightly higher ph, will i need to modify it or will it be okay?

Welcome to AA!!!

What does your tap ph read? How large is the goldfish? Filtration? Do you know your Kh and Gh levels?

Your ph may be low from the cycling process or it may reflect your tap water. If your tap water is this low, you will need to add a buffer to your filter housing(s) to help increase KH and stabilize your ph in a higher range. 6.4 is quite low for goldfish as they do better in hard, alkaline high ph water. Crushed coral or aragonite can be used in a mesh bag or piece of clean pantyhose to help stabilize KH and ph. Some more info will help!

Thanks for the reply, i left my tap water out overnight in a glass and its reading 6.6-6.8 its hard to tell the difference on the kit. Goldfish is about 6 inches long. I have a fluval u3, no air-stone as i have the filter aimed at the surface and there's a lot of bubbles and i don't know my kh and gh levels.

I dosed another 1ml of ammonia this morning because it was at 0 again.

A 20g is pretty small for a fish that is already 6in and will grow quite a bit more. Just something to keep in mind here!

Have you been dosing ammonia only to 1ppm or to 4ppm? 1ppm of ammonia is quite a low dose for a fish that will easily produces this much ammonia. If your tank can handle 3-4ppm easily in 24hrs for a few days in row, its safe to say your cycled! You technically already cycled but only to a very low dose of ammonia and it would be better to have a bacterial colony that can handle the ammonia output of a large goldfish. I would also consider adding a small bag of crushed coral or aragonite to your filter housing to stabilize your ph and kh- the fact that it is already falling from your tap level with just a small amount of ammonia indicates that your kh levels are likely very low. Please ask if you have any questions!

A friend died and the fish was his, its 7+years old now, i asked a lfs if he would look after it while the tank cycled and he said yes. I had been dosing 4ppm when i started the cycle, but after a month when i thought it was finished i started dosing to 1ppm just to keep the bacteria alive, that was about a week ago. Ill try dosing to 4ppm again today and check in 24hrs.

Could you explain a bit more about the coral and argonite please? you said they raise ph, where should i get them and are they safe to use?

Let us know how your numbers look! CC or aragonite in small amounts will not have a dramatic effect on ph unless you added a lot. Basically, they add KH (carbonates) to your water which will stabilize ph and prevent it from dropping. It may raise it slightly but this is fine as goldfish do better in hard, alkaline higher ph water.

Any decent lfs will sell either product in the substrate section (particularly sw area). They are perfectly safe to use, too! You just add a tiny amount (1-2 spoonsful) in a small mesh bag or a clean piece of pantyhose and stick it in your filter housing. Check the ph in 24hrs and see if there is any change. If theres a big jump, remove a little bit. If it drops, add a bit more. It will be a bit of trial and error to figure out a good amount. Then it simply will need to be replenished every so often as it slowly dissolves. Please ask if you have questions! :)

PS> Your doing a wonderful thing taking on the care of this guy and I am very sorry about your friend.

Hi again jlk

sorry I've been busy at work so i haven't had time to post a reply here. My tank cant cycle 4ppm in 24 hrs yet and leaves about 1ppm. Its been slowly leaving less and less so it will happen some time! My lfs i left the fish at is not "in business" atm because of personal difficulties, the owner still comes in but he hasn't got any coral. This site can deliver next day to where i live in uk, is this the right substrate?

TMC Coral Gravel Fine 4kg Box | Charterhouse Aquatics

Heres a link of all they have if you could advise of any are the correct kind:

Aquarium Crushed Coral and Coral Sand | Charterhouse Aquatics

Thanks for the help, sorry it takes me a while to reply back.

Yep, it looks like the right stuff! Get the smallest bag as you will just need a small amount (although it will need to be replenished periodically as it dissolves with time). Keep us posted on how things are going! :)

Back
Top Bottom