Is my cycle on track

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tate

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Day 10 of cycle and my ammonia is 4ppm just dosed it and nitrites are +5ppm no nitrates. I was wondering if my cycle is going the way its supposed to I've been getting mixed ideas from other threads
je3a6ara.jpg

Sent from my XT1058 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

At ten days into a new cycle, things appear to be going quite well. It can sometimes take 3-4 weeks or longer to see initial ammonia drops. Is your ph staying stable? If so, drop your ammonia dose back to 1-2ppm and have a bit of patience! If your nitrates do not start to increase in the next week or two, then a water change may be in order to drop your nitrite levels and add back necessary buffers and minerals. :)

So about a week until my nitites start to drop

Should I test for nitrites now or wait until that point

Not now but daily

I wouldn't bother testing every day, you'll just make yourself crazy.
Cut back your dosage of ammonia as advised and test again in a week.
What I WOULD test is your NitrAtes every few days. As jlk says, if they stop increasing suddenly, do a partial water change to add new buffers to your water (50%) then continue on as prescribed.

When should my nitrates start to rise

So last time I tested my nitrates were 40 ppm and nitrites 5+ ppm when should nitrites start to fall? I am currently dosing ammonia 1-2 ppm every other day

So last time I tested my nitrates were 40 ppm and nitrites 5+ ppm when should nitrites start to fall? I am currently dosing ammonia 1-2 ppm every other day

The nitrite phase is the longest, typically lasting a few weeks on average so you may have a bit more of a wait. You should be dosing ammonia consistently; daily at around the same time when ammonia drops (you can let it get to 1 or less ppm, then redose up). If PH drops below 6.5 and/or ammonia conversion stalls and/or nitrites are 5+ for more than a week, do a large (as much water as you can) water change and try to get nitrite <2 on the chart (this may take more than one water change if nitrites are very high), then redose. Otherwise it's really just a waiting game.

You said nitrite phase takes a few weeks then said if you have nitrites 5+ for more than a week to do a water change

You said nitrite phase takes a few weeks then said if you have nitrites 5+ for more than a week to do a water change

Yes, it can take the nitrite bacteria longer to multiply, so it can take a few weeks to get enough of them to convert nitrite into nitrate so that nitrites no longer show up on the test. BUT if nitrites are consistently high during the cycle, it can cause a stall. So to help things out a bit you can do water changes to get nitrites down. They will likely shoot up again though, which is again normal. You want nitrites to drop to 0 on their own and stay there and you want to be able to dose ammonia up and within 24 hours have it be gone; nitrates will then rise as nitrites are converted to nitrate. When all of that happens the cycle is done. I hope that isn't too confusing. :)

Since I have some nitrates doesn't that mean some nitrites went away

My nitrates were around 20 ppm last week and now they are at 0 why did this happen is it because I took out some bio balls?

Nitrites dropped!!!! Went down to .25 I dosed ammonia and I'm going to see if it is going to be converted in 24 hours

Doesn't make sense yesterday my nitrites were .25 so I dosed to 4ppm ammonia and today these are the readings slight ammonia and off the charts nitrites... Why did they shoot up?
duvy6e7u.jpg

Anyone? My nitrates are at 80 ppm

What are they now?
The bacteria double every X time frame, so it might take a few more days of them doubling, then you will suddenly find that they have caught up.

Back
Top Bottom