Is my Flow rate too much ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deeks14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 25 gallon tank with a fluval 205 canister filter. I have the flow rate turned down but their still seems to be a good current circling the tank . Is this ok fish seem to like and play in the current but maybe I'm wrong . Is it possible the filter is to big for tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi. I aim to turn over my water 4 times an hour. A 205 would be a bit toppy but a filter when stocked with media rarely turns over at the manufactures specs. When it's time to clean the filter the turn over is even lower. I wouldn't reduce the water flow unless it's causing ridiculous turbulence.
I run a 260l with 2 700lph filters. In reality one runs at 500 max and the other at 300 due to an in line UV filter. The fish seem to love it after a filter clean when the water movement is at it's greatest. Large flat sided fish may be less happy though, I keep tetras, Cory's and RCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What do you mean by toppy. The tank isn't that long only 2 ft so the was seems to move round the edges fairly rapid I have harlequins , oto's and tetras at minute but would like to add a good few Rcs.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sorry, by toppy I meant over the top, more than required. I would suggest that your turnover is good providing the turbulence is ok for the fish. My RCS hang onto the outlet of my filter, fighting the water flow to feed off the moss that grows on it. My tank is similar in stocking to yours and my fish seem to like a good water flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What you should do is keep that filter going at maximum power and get some hillstream loaches!

In all seriousness, your flow rate is probably fine as long as the fish don't look distressed. As long as it's not something ill suited to fast flow like a betta your high flow rate is actually ideal.

Back
Top Bottom