Is my tank done cycling? (shrimp cycle)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeSs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I recently started up a 55 gal tank. I started cycling it last week. I put in 1 shrimp and a bottle of Fritz Zyme #7. Here are my test results:

- Ammonia = 1
- Nitrite = 1
- Nitrate = 10

The shrimp is still in the tank, although, it seems to be almost totally decayed. Is my tank actually done cycling and the jumbo shrimp is just whats keeping the amonia and nitrite high?

It appears the ammonia levels and NitrIte levels are still present, in high ammounts. I'm guessing your part way through it, but any trace of Ammonia and NitrIte is not a finished cycle, and Ammonia should be below .25 for fish safety.

When the bacterias handling Ammonia and NitrItes can handle the shrimp, those amounts will drop down to 0, even with the shrimp still there. (Acting in the place of the fish.)

Take your shrimp out and put it in a glass with tank water, cover it, and stick it in the fridge. After 12 hours take a tank measurement. After another 12 hours take a tank measurement. Report back.

If your ammonia and nitrIte are zero after 12 hours, you are getting close. If after 24hours the levels are zero (minus nitrAte), you are still pretty far off but doing alright.

After this test, pour the shrimp and water from the cup back into the tank and continue to wait. You may need to purchase another shrimp if your not completed the nitrIte portion of the cycle but your ammonia goes to zero (commonly occurs).

Did you introduce any seed material from an established tank or just the shrimp?

Hang in there!

To level set - the cycle will take approximately 4 wks without any seed material. It will feel like FOREVER, but many of us have been through it. Tank startup isn't fun - first there's the cycle, then the lovely diatom outbreak - but once thats done you'll have a hobby that you will enjoy for years and years.
Hang in there !
If you can get some seed material (filter material or even some gravel from an established tank) your cycle will go much faster.
I really have to compliment you on researching first and doing a fishless cycle - it really is the best way, even tho it can be a little trying on the patience at times :)

I have added other seed material. I also added the Fritz Zyme (which is just like Bio Spira). The shrimp has a huge white cloud surrounding it. The rest of the water in the tank is crystal clear.

That sounds like the shrimp i currently have cycling my 5g hex. Just a white film surrounding it. I seeded the tank with some filter media from an established tank and it is almost done cycling. My ammonia is down to .5ppm after a high of 4ppm. The nitrites are still a bit high at 2ppm. I figure another week or so. That's why I said have patience you can push nature but you can't rush it.

Yes, those shrimp sure do get "lovely" looking don't they ! Sounds like you're moving right along.
FlushingFish, I love the saying "you can push nature but you can't rush it" !

I actually just planted the hex that is cycling just to give nature that push. That tank is going to become my daughter's betta tank.

Back
Top Bottom