Is my tank ready already?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfsheim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I need some advice here. I have the Aqueon 8.75 gallon shrimp tank that I set up about three weeks ago. Here's the thing, according to all my water tests, everything but KH is perfect. This is the timeline of the tank, and please let me know if it's possible that my tank has been cycled so quickly.
Three weeks ago, I added the shrimp and plant substrate, and sprinkled an entire packet of dwarf baby tears over the entire tank. I then filled a bottle with water, and added a little but of Flourish, Flourish Iron, Flourish Advance, and Flourish Excel, and then sprayed down the tank every day for a week. After a week, nothing started growing, so I gave up with that, and filled the tank with regular tap water. I added conditioner and dechlorinator, and then I added a LOT of Tetra starter bacteria. The next day I started seeing little tiny green dots all over the tank. Throughout the week it completely filled in and the entire floor of the tank was covered in baby tears. Last weekend I went to Petsmart and bought a couple of plant tissue cultures and planted them, and then last Sunday I started actively trying to get the cycle going. I added Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride solution to the tank to get my ammonia up to about 2ppm. I then added a lot of Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria, about one and a half times what's recommended.
Fast forward to today. I added some more plants, and let the tank sit a few hours. I just finished testing my tank, and the only thing that looks off is my KH. Here are the readings:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
KH: 0-50ppm
GH: 140-200ppm
All the tests I used are API, and I confirmed these readings with Tetra easy strips. I haven't used the API pH test yet, but according to the Tetra it's about 7.2.
Could it be that the only thing I have to do is get my KH up and I'm ready for shrimp (and maybe a few neon tetras, and a driftwood centerpiece for the tank that I haven't picked yet)? I was expecting this to take weeks.
Here are some pictures of the tank. The first one is from last week, the others from earlier today:
88150497_10215696447991755_1458527389997858816_o.jpg

88325802_10215696447831751_3692968071154106368_o.jpg

88082338_10215696448671772_8026489347245080576_o.jpg

You should be seeing some nitrates, 5-20ppm.

That's what I thought. Do you think the test itself is wrong? Or should I try and add some ammonia again and see what happens?

Are you using strips or a liquid tester? Strips tend to be less accurate than the liquid kits.
I would add a little more ammonia or snails to get the bb going.

I used both, first the API liquid tests, then the strips just to see if I got the same reading.
I want to avoid snails if I can, my other tanks have way too many, and the population is difficult to control. I have tons of mystery and ramshorns. I mean, I guess if I had to, I could get a nerite or two, since they can't breed without brackish water.
I did add some more ammonia last night, but I didn't take a reading. I'll take an ammonia reading tonight, see if it shows anything.

Also could be a false 0.0 reading on the nitrates with a liquid test kit. You really have to shake the heck out of bottle #2.

Back
Top Bottom