Is nitrate a problem with no fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FortMyersSteve

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Cycling a brackish (15 ppt salt) tank. I have not put any fish in yet. Nitrate is at 40. Can this harm the nitrifying bacteria? Should I change water? Or ignore?

Cycling a brackish (15 ppt salt) tank. I have not put any fish in yet. Nitrate is at 40. Can this harm the nitrifying bacteria? Should I change water? Or ignore?

Hello Fort...

I'd say ignore the reading if you have nothing in the tank. I doubt this level of nitrate would even bother most naturally hardy fish. I keep my aquarium fish in water with a trace of standard aquarium salt and they do fine.

B

I would test the source water for nitrates (would not hurt to check ammonia, nitrite, pH while you are at it just to get a baseline). 40 ppm is high for source water. Let’s say the tank levels gets to 80-160. Doing a 50% water change will lower it to 60-100 at best.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I understand that part. At this point all I care about the tank supporting is some plants I will be putting in.

Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 2 ppm
Nitrate 40
pH 8.2

I know I started with dirty water; it's an experiment. The tank is cycling so the ammonia was expected. I just didn't know whether that level of nitrate by itself would be a problem if it stayed there after ammonia and nitrite disappear. Sounds like it might be. I notice now that drinking water max is 10 ppm (not that I'm drinking this foul looking stuff).

API Saltwater Master Test Kit. I have no reason to doubt the results, which seemed to be moving in the right direction (ammonia and nitrate going down; nitrate going up) at this early stage in the cycle. Though I have not confirmed with any other test. I do have another nitrate test kit around somewhere that I bought to check our canal water. Actually it would be interesting to compare the two tests. I'll try it tomorrow.

If you are just cycling the tank the nitrates you have wont do anything to the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom