Is reverse osmosis water prevent hardwater stains?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maptank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought new acrylic tank, and I dont know any way to prevent it water stains in the first place

Iron is usually what stains things red/orange. What do you plan to keep in the tank? RO water is good for most applications, but you should partially mix it with tap water to provide some mineral/buffering capacity in the tank.

I am gonna keep tropical fishes, I have zero experience about fish, for now I bought power filter, airpump with tubings, fluo-light, heater with thermometr, some hard stones(gonna break it to pieces, tried with hammer, but didnt work), stress coat plus API's, big bottled RO water,I will put some plants soon, and did not decided yet what fishes to buy.

As bs said, RO water should be mixed with tap, or reconstituted with minerals (RO Rite, SeaChem Replenish, etc).

Maptank said:
I am gonna keep tropical fishes, I have zero experience about fish, for now I bought power filter, airpump with tubings, fluo-light, heater with thermometr, some hard stones(gonna break it to pieces, tried with hammer, but didnt work), stress coat plus API's, big bottled RO water,I will put some plants soon, and did not decided yet what fishes to buy.

Read this b4 getting fish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

Hi and welcome. As said above you can't use straight RO water with fish; RO water is basically distilled water and contains no minerals, so you'd need to either add minerals (RO RIte or Seachem Replenish) or use 1/2 tap and 1/2 RO. It can be expensive in the longrun (unless you get an RO unit) and more work than needed. What kind of stains does the water produce? White? If so you can just clean the hood, etc periodically with some vinegar which will remove the stains.

There's a link in my signature below: guide to starting a FW aquarium. It covers things like water source, cycling, etc. You may want to give it a read. :)

img2858jl.jpg

By maptank at 2012-02-20
Thank you all, I think I am doing fishless cycling in correct way, people says tiny airbubbles will dissapear soon, is that true?
there is big world map back of my tank and little turtle inside of it xD

and I filled my tank by 15 gallon cold tap water and 15 gallon RO water as you said. And put 15ml of "stress coat plus"

The bubbles will go away on their own. Once a slime builds up on everything in the tank and the glass.

Okay, soon I ll be going to Lake Michigan beach to pick rocks, some people says "boil the rocks before put in" some says " just put it on their own, it has natural minerals that needs for fishes" Did you guys had a experience about natural rocks?

I would not boil rocks that your not sure about. They can explode. A lot of folks will boil water and pour it over the rocks instead.

I'd also advise on NOT boiling rock. Even though there is not fire present, heating the rock can cause whatever water is trapped inside to turn to steam which then if reached its explosive point will them well... Explode.

img2858jl.jpg

By maptank at 2012-02-20
Thank you all, I think I am doing fishless cycling in correct way, people says tiny airbubbles will dissapear soon, is that true?
there is big world map back of my tank and little turtle inside of it xD

Yes air bubbles will go away. What ammonia source are you using to cycle the tank? To properly fishless cycle you need an ammonia source. Here's the link if you haven't seen it: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Thank you for all infos. I couldn't find these by myself.

My guppies swimming at very top of the tank, and not eating well their aqueon tropical flakes, I just checked the water , ph 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate around 2-3, what should I do, whenever I work my airpump they just acting like never seen the bubblesbefore and staying to the corner together ...

Back
Top Bottom