is sakrete sand safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nacho1cheese

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was wondering if anyone has used this before. its sakrete multipurpose medium sized sand. ive been trying to find pfs but none of my pool shops carry ANY sand so i bought this at lowes. there was also playsand by sakrete but i herd that was a hassle so i went with the medium sized

here's the link?
Multi-Purpose Sand | Sakrete

Does the bag list what it is made of (quartz/silica or a calcium carbonate)? I know alot of Sakrete sands are used for mixing with concrete.

it just says in has crystalline silica and it can be used for pet areas. the color of it is gray. i think im gonna return it and go with playsand if i dont find pfs

I would assume that it would be construction grade sand and thus could be contaminated with chemicals. You would have to wash it very well and even then, I would worry about what could be in it especially since it's gray in colour. Play sand would probably be better as it's intended for children, from what I've read, the main concern with play sand is that it contains dirt that would have to be washed out.

Yeah I think your right. I'm not gonna risk it. thanks for both your advice

Sakrete Sands are washed and screened, but are not made for this type of application. Typically the sands that are used in aquariums are man-made. The sands that Sakrete has are mined from a quarry.

I really wouldn't recommend play sand because it is easily stirred up and looks really dirty. I regretted getting play sand and was really happy after i switched to pfs

I went to the pool and spa store and when I asked if the sand they had contained any chemicals or anything like that she said it was a special kind of sand for pool filters that has crushed glass. At Lowes they only carry "Sakrete" brand

I went to ACE and got dark play sand...works great...

I also went to Home Depot and got white blasting sand...works great too but white shows the brown...so looks not so clean.

Play sand is a washed, sterilized, dried, screened, and contains no organic matter. It may be used in sand boxes, moulding, traction sand, fish bowls, foundations under brick patios, winter ballast for car trunks, foundation for above ground pool, cigarette urns, gardening, mason sand and pet boxes.
sounds alright, pfs is the best but the glass would be abrasive... somebody with more experience would be needed on that. but as long as you rinse the play sand it should be safe, but test it in a bucket first to make sure it wont muck up the tank, you don't want to create a layer of mud in your filter

So I always hear about pfs but never really see a brand. Does that mean that all brand are okay

Do you have a Tractor Supply or Northern Tool near you? Have you considered using Black Diamond Blasting Sand? It's safe, and it looks great.

Hmmm no I haven't heard of that. Ill look for that I know we have a John Deere store

Back
Top Bottom