Is this driftwood safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joany

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I'm really new to fishkeeping--am fishless cycling my first 55 gallon freshwater tank. Want to plant it, and like natural decorations. I collected driftwood at Old Orchard Beach Maine a few weeks ago. Boiled it all for 40 minutes or so, and now it's just sitting out on my frozen deck while I decide what to do with it. I don't know what kind of wood this is, and don't want to do anything that would jeapordize my tank...but would love to use it if possible. Is there anything else I should do to treat it? Any risks I'm taking by using it? Thanks so much for your advice!

Attachments

• driftwood.JPG
    driftwood.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 68
As long as it's well weathered, it's rare for driftwood to be unsuitable for an aquarium. I go out and find driftwood to use all the time.

As long as it's well weathered, it's rare for driftwood to be unsuitable for an aquarium. I go out and find driftwood to use all the time.

agreed, a quick hot bath for it to kill and spiders :blink: and throw her in, although it tends to float if dry so weigh it down. Thats actually something my girlfriend enjoys about the hobby, finding some drift wood haha!

Back
Top Bottom