Is this enough filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atljar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Very new to fishkeeping :hide:

Im setting up a 75 gallon African cichlid tank. I purchased a Ehiem 2126, and also another inline heater as backup.

My question is the filter is rated for 251 gph from the pump, and 172 gph for the filter circulation, but says it will filter 92 gallons.

I keep reading that tank turnover should be 8-10x per hour. This filter is nowhere close to that turnover?

Ideally you'd like to have 8-10x filtration ... but it may not always be practical.

What cichlids and how many you're looking to add? Without that it's tough for us to judge. With new tanks that's not cycled and not planted you'd want strong filtration and keep up on PWC's. If you don't stock heavily, then I'd say your filter's probably enough once it's cycled.

The easiest thing to do is set up a second filter to boost up filtration. You can do something like another canister ... or even an HOB like an AC-70 / AC-110

I havent picked specific species yet, nothing terribly exotic. Im thinking 12-14 fish?

I should have mentioned too, that I am also building an undergravel jet system with a dedicated closed loop circulation pump. Maybe Ill attach a large sponge filter on that for a little extra mechanical/bio filtration?

Tank Filtration

Very new to fishkeeping :hide:

Im setting up a 75 gallon African cichlid tank. I purchased a Ehiem 2126, and also another inline heater as backup.

My question is the filter is rated for 251 gph from the pump, and 172 gph for the filter circulation, but says it will filter 92 gallons.

I keep reading that tank turnover should be 8-10x per hour. This filter is nowhere close to that turnover?

Hello at...

A 75 gallon tank requires minimum filtration of 450 gallons per minute (gph). Typically, a tank this size does best with two filters. As long as the two have a combined gph of 450, your tank will have sufficient water filtration.

You can have more than that, most waterkeepers do, but don't go below 450.

B

Back
Top Bottom