Is this video correct about adding fish after 48 hours ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is typical pet store talk ... they don't want to scare people away by telling them that they need weeks to cycle properly.

Adding the live bacteria is a hit or miss proposition. Most of the ones that comes in bottles are dead from storage, and really are no help. And if you were to add live bacteria, you need to add an ammonia source right away, not wait 24 hours. <Or even live bacteria will die from lack of food.>And he omitted the most important part - monitoring that the cycle is progressing & pwc if needed.

Doing a tank the fish store way is sure to make you go back to buy meds for diseases, and more $$ to replace dead fish. Good for business, I guess. But personally, I recommend cycling the correct way:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Agree with JSoon. I fell for that too initially and it was a mess, I had to try to cycle with fish which is a nightmare b/c you're constantly worrying, checking water and doing water changes. After a month, they died anyway, now I'm doing a proper fishless cycle. Check out the link he gave you (there's one in my signature as well) and do it the proper way; it'll take some time but it's far less stressful on you and your fish will appreciate being put into a healthy tank.

Thanks for the replies. I was reading up on setting up an aquarium and found out about having to cycle then seen the video. I was reading it could take months then a few weeks then the video said 2 days, I was like what !? lol.

Also I read that when cycling the aquarium not to have the hood light on or even sunlight. It said to cover the aquarium fully and do water checks at night. I guess any amount of light will cause algae. Is this true ?

Thanks for the replies. I was reading up on setting up an aquarium and found out about having to cycle then seen the video. I was reading it could take months then a few weeks then the video said 2 days, I was like what !? lol.

Also I read that when cycling the aquarium not to have the hood light on or even sunlight. It said to cover the aquarium fully and do water checks at night. I guess any amount of light will cause algae. Is this true ?

Good for you for researching! (y)

Yes light can cause algae. Every tank has some algae though, it's a sign of a healthy tank. But you don't want to be over-run with it either. Keeping the lights off during cycling and making sure the tank isn't in direct sunlight should be enough. You can cover it if you want to though.

Good for you for researching! (y)

Yes light can cause algae. Every tank has some algae though, it's a sign of a healthy tank. But you don't want to be over-run with it either. Keeping the lights off during cycling and making sure the tank isn't in direct sunlight should be enough. You can cover it if you want to though.

Thanks for the help

If you don't have live plants then no, you don't need lights. As for the video :banghead: :rolleyes: I was able to cycle in 21 days, with live plants, a few stray snails & water at 79*. It may take longer, certainly, but fish in or out, cycling is not a two day process.

Good luck and happy cycling.

Back
Top Bottom