ISO HELP :) Classic Newb Cycle/Snail/Algae Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Accidental Aquarist Mama

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone,

First off, thank you all in advance for your time and patience, as I recently set up a 10 gallon tank (my very first) for my kids, and, despite doing hours and hours of research before "rescuing" our single female Betta from certain death at Petco, have a number of questions about various common newb disasters that I've run up against

SETUP

10 gallon new tank (20x10x12?)
20 pounds (give or take)of "aquarium rock" substrate purchased at Petco
(I know, I know, but we don't have a "real" LFS in our area)
Tetra Whisper PF10 filter with filter cartridges (I absolutely hate this filter. The water flow cannot be adjusted and I think it may create too strong a current for our Betta)

50W? Submersible Heater kept at 79-81F. The temp fluctuates more than I'd like, probably due to the small tank size which can't be helped right now

Digital thermometer with submersed probe (suction cup) and external digital display

Air - None. Should I add an airstone? It is my understanding that Betta fish normally live in poorly oxygenated water and have a labrynth organ for getting air from the surface?

PLANTS

2 Anubias
2 Java Fern
2 Argentine? Swords (they were not sold as Amazon swords. Doing great in my tank despite a single flourescent light)

FISH

1 single solitary female Betta. We could barely tell if she was alive in the store, or what color she was. We decided to rescue her and she is now HUGE and bright purple and magenta-colored, with gorgeous fins. We had intended to try a Betta Sorority tank but I've since realized that 3 are too few and a 10 gallon is far too small for 5

WATER/TREATMENTS/CYCLE

We use an API Master Test Kit as I understood that to be the preference of those in the know.

I attempted a fish-in cycle with the single Betta (In retrospect I should have done a fishless cycle but I didn't learn about it in time)

We are now nearing 8 weeks after setup, and I have YET to get a single Nitrite or Nitrate reading. I started to get hopeful this week when the ammonia readings (usually at .25 - I do a PWC almost daily and it's never gone as high as .5) went to Zero suddenly, and what I believe to be brown diatoms appeared on the decorations and substrate. I had read that this commonly happens near or at the end of the cycle. I have been taking readings daily of ammonia and nitrite with both strips and the API kit. The API kit has never given a Nitrite reading (Yes I'm following the instructions) and the strips for the first time the other day gave a *hint* of a reading but really could have gone either way.

Water Conditioner: I had been using a cheapo Betta water conditioner, but switched to Seachem's Prime about 3 weeks ago

Plant Fertilizer: None for the first 6 weeks. Just started adding Flourish Excel with water changes

Ph: Had been reading 7.6 consistently up until about a week ago when I thought MAYBE we were finally getting some good bacteria brewing, then dropped to 6.5-6.8. I thought this might be another sign that the cycle was working?

SNAILS - dear God, the snails.... I was stupid enough to buy plants from Petco and inherited a single snail that I have researched and determined to be a Pond snail (Physa Acuta?) which, of course, subsequently laid eggs and now I have at least 5 of various ages skulking around the tank. I am dying to break it down and boil everything and just start over having learned my lesson, but I don't want to have to start the cycle all over and put the poor fish through that again. I already feel badly enough about having done a fish-in cycle.

FOOD - we are using Hikari Gold pellets and dried bloodworms, with frozen brine shrimp for treats (for the last 3 weeks or so)

Also of note, it took over a month before I got a single ammonia reading, even though I'm almost positive I was overfeeding. Any ideas?

Would a water conditioner that binds and detoxifies Ammonia make it unavailable for the BB to eat and therefore stall the cycle?

Regarding the filter, should I change out the filter to the AquaClear 20 that I purchased (sponge, bio beads, etc) and put some of the old filter material in there, or will that just make matters worse?

Regarding the snails - It's my own fault because I felt too guilty to kill the first one I saw, and of course don't want to put them outside as I'm sure they arent indigenous to New England. Is there a humane way to get rid of them? Should I move the fish to a 5 gal and break down the tank?

I really don't want to start all over again. ANY advice you all have would be most appreciated.

Oh, and I almost forgot - I did add some "Microbe-lift" at the suggestion of the LFS ( I know I know) which reeked of sulfur. It was supposed to boost BB but now I'm skeptical.

Please, feel free to dissect, criticize, analyze.... I am open to ANY feedback and help you'd be willing to provide.

Best,

A. Mama

My comments below in blue:

Hello Everyone,

First off, thank you all in advance for your time and patience, as I recently set up a 10 gallon tank (my very first) for my kids, and, despite doing hours and hours of research before "rescuing" our single female Betta from certain death at Petco, have a number of questions about various common newb disasters that I've run up against

SETUP

10 gallon new tank (20x10x12?)
20 pounds (give or take)of "aquarium rock" substrate purchased at Petco
(I know, I know, but we don't have a "real" LFS in our area)
Tetra Whisper PF10 filter with filter cartridges (I absolutely hate this filter. The water flow cannot be adjusted and I think it may create too strong a current for our Betta) - Filter flow and bettas is overblown. I've kept very healthy bettas in a 29g with and AC70 and currently have one in a 40B with an AC110.

50W? Submersible Heater kept at 79-81F. The temp fluctuates more than I'd like, probably due to the small tank size which can't be helped right now

Digital thermometer with submersed probe (suction cup) and external digital display

Air - None. Should I add an airstone? It is my understanding that Betta fish normally live in poorly oxygenated water and have a labrynth organ for getting air from the surface? - This isn't necessary.

PLANTS

2 Anubias
2 Java Fern
2 Argentine? Swords (they were not sold as Amazon swords. Doing great in my tank despite a single flourescent light)

FISH

1 single solitary female Betta. We could barely tell if she was alive in the store, or what color she was. We decided to rescue her and she is now HUGE and bright purple and magenta-colored, with gorgeous fins. We had intended to try a Betta Sorority tank but I've since realized that 3 are too few and a 10 gallon is far too small for 5

WATER/TREATMENTS/CYCLE

We use an API Master Test Kit as I understood that to be the preference of those in the know. - Good choice.

I attempted a fish-in cycle with the single Betta (In retrospect I should have done a fishless cycle but I didn't learn about it in time)

We are now nearing 8 weeks after setup, and I have YET to get a single Nitrite or Nitrate reading. I started to get hopeful this week when the ammonia readings (usually at .25 - I do a PWC almost daily and it's never gone as high as .5) went to Zero suddenly, and what I believe to be brown diatoms appeared on the decorations and substrate. I had read that this commonly happens near or at the end of the cycle. I have been taking readings daily of ammonia and nitrite with both strips and the API kit. The API kit has never given a Nitrite reading (Yes I'm following the instructions) and the strips for the first time the other day gave a *hint* of a reading but really could have gone either way. - It sounds like you're on the right track. 6-8 weeks for a fishless cycle is pretty common. A fish-in cycle usually takes longer. Put the test tube on white paper and look down through the fluid. It intensifies the color.

Water Conditioner: I had been using a cheapo Betta water conditioner, but switched to Seachem's Prime about 3 weeks ago

Plant Fertilizer: None for the first 6 weeks. Just started adding Flourish Excel with water changes

Ph: Had been reading 7.6 consistently up until about a week ago when I thought MAYBE we were finally getting some good bacteria brewing, then dropped to 6.5-6.8. I thought this might be another sign that the cycle was working?

SNAILS - dear God, the snails.... I was stupid enough to buy plants from Petco and inherited a single snail that I have researched and determined to be a Pond snail (Physa Acuta?) which, of course, subsequently laid eggs and now I have at least 5 of various ages skulking around the tank. I am dying to break it down and boil everything and just start over having learned my lesson, but I don't want to have to start the cycle all over and put the poor fish through that again. I already feel badly enough about having done a fish-in cycle. - Snails are good for your tank. They clean up and if you've got too many, it's a sign that you're overfeeding.

FOOD - we are using Hikari Gold pellets and dried bloodworms, with frozen brine shrimp for treats (for the last 3 weeks or so)

Also of note, it took over a month before I got a single ammonia reading, even though I'm almost positive I was overfeeding. Any ideas?

Would a water conditioner that binds and detoxifies Ammonia make it unavailable for the BB to eat and therefore stall the cycle?

Regarding the filter, should I change out the filter to the AquaClear 20 that I purchased (sponge, bio beads, etc) and put some of the old filter material in there, or will that just make matters worse?

Regarding the snails - It's my own fault because I felt too guilty to kill the first one I saw, and of course don't want to put them outside as I'm sure they arent indigenous to New England. Is there a humane way to get rid of them? Should I move the fish to a 5 gal and break down the tank?

I really don't want to start all over again. ANY advice you all have would be most appreciated.

Oh, and I almost forgot - I did add some "Microbe-lift" at the suggestion of the LFS ( I know I know) which reeked of sulfur. It was supposed to boost BB but now I'm skeptical.

Please, feel free to dissect, criticize, analyze.... I am open to ANY feedback and help you'd be willing to provide.

Best,

A. Mama

A single betta isn't much of a bioload so it might be why you aren't seeing much on the tests.

Dont feel bad about fish in cycling, its pretty safe and it sounds like you have the knowledge to keep it that way.

Back
Top Bottom