Julii Cory with Guppies in a 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! :)

I am getting a 10 gallon tank. I am putting all males Guppies in, about 4-6.

I would like to have a bottom feeder, and I really love the Julii Catfish. I heard they only get 2 inches big, so naturally they wouldn't outgrow a 10g.

However, I can see how there would be a problem if they need to be in large shoals.

Would 2 do? If not, would 3 be overstocking? Are they aggressive towards Guppies?

Thanks!
P.S Any additional tips on their care is great, I have never owned a catfish.

What kind of filter are you using? If you have adequate filtration, you could put six small cories in a 10g with some guppies. That'd be plenty of cories to keep each other company.

Cories are pretty hardy fish. Make sure your substrate isn't sharp. It can hurt the cory's barbels. Sand is good. If you've got gravel, roll a few pieces between your palms. If you feel lots of sharp points, your cories won't like it. Other than that, just make sure that food makes it down to the bottom and keep the water clean.

Change of plans

Hi!
Thanks for the info.
I think I'm going to change my plan. Instead of Juliis, I cam across a breed I think will be a lot more suitable.

Dainty Cories, AKA Salt and Pepper catfish, AKA Habrosus Cory.
They only get 1.5 inches. I suppose the same rules apply with gravel, and Im thinking of getting a group of 3-4 because I want them to have as much room to swim, so Im keeping my stocking down as much as possible.

Thanks again for the help! :)

I'm very hesitant about putting any type of corydora in a 10 gallon tank. There's just not a big enough foot print for them to be very active. It's kind of like a human doing laps in a kiddie pool. stroke turn stroke turn stroke turn
the minimum size tank i would put any type of cory in (pygmy variants as well) would be a 20L

Same rules apply for the gravel.

Cories aren't the most active fish. I have about ten panda cories in my 20L. They kinda shuffle about rooting through the sand or sit on the bottom. Every once in a while, one will get a wild hair and dash to the top of the tank and back down again. In the wild, they group together in shoals of thousands of fish. I think having a slightly larger group benefits them more than a little extra elbow room.

i would go with 5 guppies and 5 or even 6 of the habrosus cories (like stated earlier in the thread, the bigger group the better) it will definitely max out your stocking but with enough filtration and the proper maintenance schedule, it will not be a problem.

are you planning on all male guppies? if not, be prepared for tons of babies!!!

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help guys! I will be sure to take your advice. Also, thank you Mommytron (and A1) for recommending the Habrosus! (AKA Dainty AKA salt and pepper catfish)
I will be sure to take your advice, everyone.
Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom