Jump starting a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grannysneo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have a 125 gallon tank that's been up about 3 mos. all my fish are doing good so far?. Anyway my husbands cousin is wanting a tank . He got a 29 gallon ( community ) tank . I told him I would run his filter on my tank to jump start the cycle. How long do I need to do this? I know he's extremely anxious to set his tank up . He's in a wheelchair and this is the 1st hobby he's become interested in . My husband going to do his maintenance on the tank . Also do you have a list of what kind of community fish will go together in a tank that size. ? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Running his filter on your tank will certainly get it going for him and I think it's great you're willing to !! As for time, it will be around 2-4 weeks depending on the bioload in yours. Obviously if you only have just one goldfish in a tank that size it would be quite longer, but a couple good size shoals or bigger individual fish will help to speed that up.

As for stocking, it's a decent sized tank so there's many possibilities. I would suggest him to view LA and see what interests him to start and take it from there. When he decides on things he likes, send him this way and we can all pitch in together.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

In my tank I have a
Longfin Oscar -3"
Blood parrot 2"
5 silver dollars 1 1/2"
3 convicts 3"
2 Angels --being regimes at later date
2 clown loaches 2"
1 pleco 8"
1 sydontonis erupted 2"
So far my fish get along good.

Also my best friend is setting up her a 29 gallon tank and she wants to know if it's big enough for African chichlid or does she need to do drawn chi lids . Hers is being cycled by feeder guppies now

Also my best friend is setting up her a 29 gallon tank and she wants to know if it's big enough for African chichlid or does she need to do drawn chi lids . Hers is being cycled by feeder guppies now

In a 29 you cannot really do any Africans besides shell dwellers and smaller cichlids like brichardi. I'm not an experts, but I believe that's how it is.

Well established tanks usually need around 2 weeks to seed a new filter. With yours being relatively new I would definitely give it around 4 weeks.

Seeding a New Tank

Hi I have a 125 gallon tank that's been up about 3 mos. all my fish are doing good so far?. Anyway my husbands cousin is wanting a tank . He got a 29 gallon ( community ) tank . I told him I would run his filter on my tank to jump start the cycle. How long do I need to do this? I know he's extremely anxious to set his tank up . He's in a wheelchair and this is the 1st hobby he's become interested in . My husband going to do his maintenance on the tank . Also do you have a list of what kind of community fish will go together in a tank that size. ? Thanks in advance

Hello Gran...

You could run the new filter on your tank for a couple of weeks, or you could remove a portion of the filter media, say 25 percent or so, from your tank and put it into the filter for the 29. This will instantly cycle the new tank. Add some easy plants like Hornwort and some driftwood and rocks. A few hardy fish like half a dozen Platys or Danios would do well in a 29 gallon tank.

B

I did a fishless cycle in my tank in about 10 days using a little media from someone else's filter. Another new member here had a similar result.

A book I recommend a lot is The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums by Boruchowitz. It's on amazon and is available as an ebook.

It's a bit outdated in that it doesn't discuss fishless cycling but it has many, many sample stocking plans for a 29 gallon, that stick to fish that are truly for beginners and that work well together.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom