Jumping platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tootsphoto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone.

I bought a tank in November 2013 and got 3 platies I lost 2of them and found out the reason why I lost them was my water I have sorted the water out and have been told that the water is perfect now so I bought 2more platies.

I fed the fish when I got home from work and went to have my tea, after I finished I had another look at fish and found out I was 1 missing I could not find it anywhere eventually I found the fish at the back of the tank it had jumped out through a gap in the back of the lid.

Can anyone tell me if platies can jump out of the water.

Thanks for all your help.

Yes they can jump. In my experience fish do this if the water is not to their liking. Did you cycle your tank? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? What is your water change schedule?

I got my water checked at the pet shop and they told me that the levels were perfect. I change approx 5 litres of water once a week I have a 24 litre tank I am due to cycle my water in 2 days.

Any fish, almost any shrimp, and even some of the snails, can either jump or crawl and then fall out of tanks that do not have a cover without any holes in it. It's odd that they seem to find the one place there's a space big enough to get out of, but they do.

Placing a bit of netting over any and all openings will help prevent this happening again.

So far I've kept my tank tops open, and I've lost very few fish, but sometimes will find one that has jumped out. I had a Bamboo shrimp turn up ten feet away, dried up on the carpet. I plan to make screen tops for the tanks, I have most of what I need, just saving up to get some clear netting, as it looks so much nicer.

Any fish, almost any shrimp, and even some of the snails, can either jump or crawl and then fall out of tanks that do not have a cover without any holes in it. It's odd that they seem to find the one place there's a space big enough to get out of, but they do.

Placing a bit of netting over any and all openings will help prevent this happening again.

So far I've kept my tank tops open, and I've lost very few fish, but sometimes will find one that has jumped out. I had a Bamboo shrimp turn up ten feet away, dried up on the carpet. I plan to make screen tops for the tanks, I have most of what I need, just saving up to get some clear netting, as it looks so much nicer.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389292574.920036.jpgthat's the top of my tank I think it jumped out of the back slot

I might have a look for some netting to cover thanks for the advise

And next time, either buy tests of your own so you can be sure it's not a water problem, or write down the values the store tests show, so you'll have them in the event of any future problem.

Back
Top Bottom