just added new filter. do i keep old one on for a while?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patersons99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post. I have a 160litre freshwater tropical tank that i have had for approx 6months. fully cycled etc and has a variety of fish stock and also have a few live plants in there. my question is... recently i found the water clarity was fairly poor and bits floating around as though the filter wasnt working efficiently, i recieved filter as part of the tank setup that was bought second hand so i dont know how old the filter is and if it was adequate for the tank so i purchased a new filter/pump that was adequate for my tank, i installed it today and switched it on and already the water is much much clearer, however do i keep the old one running for a while to help 'start' the biological process of the new filter? if so how long for etc? any advice would be greatley recieved from this newbie:fish2::fish2::thanks:

This is my first post. I have a 160litre freshwater tropical tank that i have had for approx 6months. fully cycled etc and has a variety of fish stock and also have a few live plants in there. my question is... recently i found the water clarity was fairly poor and bits floating around as though the filter wasnt working efficiently, i recieved filter as part of the tank setup that was bought second hand so i dont know how old the filter is and if it was adequate for the tank so i purchased a new filter/pump that was adequate for my tank, i installed it today and switched it on and already the water is much much clearer, however do i keep the old one running for a while to help 'start' the biological process of the new filter? if so how long for etc? any advice would be greatley recieved from this newbie:fish2::fish2::thanks:
Yeah just run them both for a while. You can't have too much filtration, and the new filter needs to build up some BB otherwise you risk throwing your tank into a mini cycle. :) as for how long, if you can place a section of the old filter media I to the new filter Id say a week would be enough, if you can't give it 2-3.

thanks ian086 i dont know the name of the one that came with the tank or how old it is the new one is one i bought from amazon ''allpondsolutions'' aquarium internal filter 1200litre per hour filtration. would i have to buy any tank start stuff like i bought when i first set up the tank to help cycle it? i noticed in the past whenever i done a water change usually 30% every two weeks the water became fairly cloudy/milky for a good few days after and wondered if the filter was to blame? im using t8 fluro lights and the live plants are growing very well and very fast however they get nibbled occassionaly which results in plant bits floating sometimes which i take out using a net. all fish that i have are very healthy and swim around happily and colouration fins etc are superb shiny condition.

thanks ian086 i dont know the name of the one that came with the tank or how old it is the new one is one i bought from amazon ''allpondsolutions'' aquarium internal filter 1200litre per hour filtration. would i have to buy any tank start stuff like i bought when i first set up the tank to help cycle it? i noticed in the past whenever i done a water change usually 30% every two weeks the water became fairly cloudy/milky for a good few days after and wondered if the filter was to blame? im using t8 fluro lights and the live plants are growing very well and very fast however they get nibbled occassionaly which results in plant bits floating sometimes which i take out using a net. all fish that i have are very healthy and swim around happily and colouration fins etc are superb shiny condition.
I have some All Ponds HOBS. Good filters for the price. I would do as Tuck suggested. Try and put a sponge from the old filter into the new one. Don't bother cleaning or rinsing the old sponge. Just put it in making sure it's touching the new media. This will transfer the BB. Run the two for as long as possible. I would say at least two weeks, the longer the better....

Back
Top Bottom