Just filled my tank... why is it cloudy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjbass

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just filled my tank today with water from my tap (city water). Why is it so cloudy?

picture.php

What kind of substrate do you have? It could be particles that got kicked up during the filling. It could also be tiny air bubbles in the water. If your parameters are fine then I would just let the filter do its job and it should clear up.

What kind of substrate do you have? It could be particles that got kicked up during the filling. It could also be tiny air bubbles in the water. If your parameters are fine then I would just let the filter do its job and it should clear up.

I haven't dechlorinated it yet with Prime, but I have dosed the entire system with Stability by Seachem. I have been running my sump since about 2PM and it is now 11:30PM. Hopefully by morning it will be clear.

I have 3M Colorquartz for substrate BTW, but I have thoroughly washed it all prior to putting it in the tank.

My water is usually cloudy for the first 24 hours or so after filling, or a large water change. Sometimes it clears up waaaay before that. My water is always crystal clear :D I would say as Bronco said and just let it work! Now if it doesn't clear up in a couple days is when I would start to worry.

Quite possibly just bubbles or particulate matter from your substrate. Let it be and you should be fine if it settles.

It has been about 24 hours now and it is still the same. I haven't used Prime in my tank yet and it does have a chlorinated smell. Could this be a problem? Should I dose my tank with Prime? I am on day two of Stability.

If you used Stability it will be cloudy for a few days, it's normal. Just make sure you use some Prime to dechlor the water. Fresh water without being dechlored will killl of the good bacteria.

And good choice on the 3M. I use the 3M black color quartz T grade in a few of our tanks and LOVE it! As for the 3M, regardless of how much you wash it, you will get a filmy residue on top of the water for a bit. Just keep with the water changes to clear it up.

Ok. I added a dose of Prime. Hopefully this will help! Thanks!

I just did water test BTW.

PH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

This tank is going to house a smallmouth bass.

Temperature is about 72.

The tank doesn't have a chlorine smell anymore either.

How big is your tank? why a small mouth bass? would definitely like to see some pics when you get it :D

I put 4 minnows and 3 crayfish in. I figured that they will be able to add some ammonia and get the tank going. I caught them in the wild. I am going to continue using the Stability for the 7 days and see what happens.

they might die before the cycle is over. if the ammonia level is above .25ppm it will start burning their gills, and it will only get higher which will lead to death. if you want to cycle your tank with the fish, you will probably need to do daily PWC's to keep the ammonia down, or keep replacing the fish. best bet is to use fish food, raw shrimp, or pure ammonia (which is the best bet IMO)

Everything is good so far. Yesterday's readings were still 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Hopefully the Stability starts producing. Saturday will be the 7th day.

Back
Top Bottom