just filled up tank- cloudy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xxaprilrose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just filled up my 90 gallon tank last night around 6PM. The water is VERY VERY cloudy and a little rusty looking from the driftwood. In the tank I have tons of sand, gravel, driftwood, and seiryu rocks. I washed everything before placing in the tank. Also the driftwood I did not boil and the piece I have is HUGE and would not fit on the stove. It looks like a tree trunk lol... anyways I did leave the driftwood in the tank full of water and did a 100% water change 3 times before I added everything else into the tank so that had time to soak and also fresh water.. In my filter I have carbon, sponge, filter floss, and also one packet of the purigen but it only fills up half the filter so its in the middle but I feel i should maybe have two packets one on the right and then on the left? Any other suggestions or do I need to do another 100% water change? Or maybe just give it more time to settle? There is no fish, I have not started the cycle yet. Thanks in advance

I would just let it settle and start cycling. Sometimes between sand and very tiny air bubbles from filling in the water you'll get a cloudy look at first. I'm sure the big piece of wood will leach lots of tannins over time but that's going to be normal too although some people don't like the Blackwater look. You may also get weird growths and slime on the wood too so don't panic if you see that, it's normal.

In my opinion if you washed the substrate three times the cause would be the driftwood. Normal water with driftwood will look yellow-ish, but that's normal. It's definitely not a problem! :) just cycle the water as you normally would, hope it helps!

Back
Top Bottom