Just finished cycling? I hope!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLadySmoke

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I got my first reading of 0 for nitrite!

Ammonia has been consistently 0 for a while now!

I am going to the pet store now to get a Nitrate test!

Am I officially cycled?! Or do you wait a few more days to make sure ammonia and nitrite stay at 0?

Curious about when I can add a couple more fish! (It has been a fish in cycle! Its been 5 weeks, faster than I expected!)

Thanks guys!!

Today I got my first reading of 0 for nitrite!

Ammonia has been consistently 0 for a while now!

I am going to the pet store now to get a Nitrate test!

Am I officially cycled?! Or do you wait a few more days to make sure ammonia and nitrite stay at 0?

Curious about when I can add a couple more fish! (It has been a fish in cycle! Its been 5 weeks, faster than I expected!)

Thanks guys!!

You really should have a test kit of your own, I'm
Pretty sure most pet stores use strips which are highly inaccurate. API master test kit (liquid) is recommended here. It can be found on amazon for around $20. A good test kit is VERY important in this hobby. Essentially your readings will be ammonia and nitrite 0ppm and nitrates under 40, if they higher doing a big water change to bring the levels down.

Oh I own the ammonia and nitrite liquid tests, I bought them separately so I don't have the master test kit.. I am buying a nitrate liquid one now. I didn't clarify that! Sorry lol.

Just wondering how long the levels should stay at zero before I consider the tank fully cycled?

Oh I own the ammonia and nitrite liquid tests, I bought them separately so I don't have the master test kit.. I am buying a nitrate liquid one now. I didn't clarify that! Sorry lol.

Just wondering how long the levels should stay at zero before I consider the tank fully cycled?

That's fine, we all make mistakes :) I did a
Fish in cycle on a 10g with two platys. I would say give it a few days to a week, and keep testing your water after adding new fish, be sure add them slowly and in small quantities! I would wait atleast a week if not two to make sure your BB has time to catch up.

Congrats! I'd dose for a few more day at least to make sure ammonia and nitrites stay at 0. If they do, I'd say do a full water change, turn the temp down if you have it up for the cycle, make sure nitrates are as low as you can get them, and then get some fish. ;) What fish are you planning? What size tank?

Thanks for the info guys! I was doing a fish in cycle. It is a 45G bow front!

I currently have:
1 - Calico Molly
6 - Serpae Tetra

(and one surprise snail that came in the bag with my tetra.. Which i thought was awesome and was so happy to put in my tank! Now I found two new baby snails lol and started looking them up today apparently they are "pests" and can take over a tank! Haha... Greaaat)

I plan on: (getting rid of the snails lol)
10 - Serpae Tetra
3 - Molly (1M/2F)

That's all I know for sure that I want. I went and bought my fish a Christmas present.. A GIANT castle, which takes up most of my tank lol. I thought it was a brilliant idea but now that it's in the tank I think it's way too big.

I'm not sure what else I can fit in there comfortably because that dumb castle is so huge.

Maybe:
1 - Gourami
Or
1 - Bolivian Ram
Or
3 - African Dwarf Frogs

Here's a picture of my tank!

Attachments

• image-3732056148.jpg
    image-3732056148.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 80
That is a nice lookin tank I recently just got a 36 gal bowfront got some guppies in it for cycling ATM Gunnar go for a few rainbow sharks here soon

Thanks for the info guys! I was doing a fish in cycle. It is a 45G bow front!

I currently have:
1 - Calico Molly
6 - Serpae Tetra

(and one surprise snail that came in the bag with my tetra.. Which i thought was awesome and was so happy to put in my tank! Now I found two new baby snails lol and started looking them up today apparently they are "pests" and can take over a tank! Haha... Greaaat)

I plan on: (getting rid of the snails lol)
10 - Serpae Tetra
3 - Molly (1M/2F)

That's all I know for sure that I want. I went and bought my fish a Christmas present.. A GIANT castle, which takes up most of my tank lol. I thought it was a brilliant idea but now that it's in the tank I think it's way too big.

I'm not sure what else I can fit in there comfortably because that dumb castle is so huge.

Maybe:
1 - Gourami
Or
1 - Bolivian Ram
Or
3 - African Dwarf Frogs

What filter is on the tank?
I wouldn't do the frogts; they are nearly blind, not great swimmers and need to come to the top for air. A 46 is too tall for them.

Otherwise you could do the added tetra and mollly (you'll likely get some fry though so have plans for that; mollys are messy fish) and either the ram or the gourami. It looks like you have black sand or is that gravel? If it's sand you could do some corys too, a group of 4-6.

Sorry I thought it was a fishless cycle. So since it's fish-in, when you add new fish, just do it slowly, a few at a time depending on size (mollys I'd do 1-2 at a time, the serpaes maybe 4 max) and test the water daily for a week or two. Do extra water changes if anything spikes (ammonia, etc) until the bacteria catch up. When ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 for a week then you can add more.

That is a nice lookin tank I recently just got a 36 gal bowfront got some guppies in it for cycling ATM Gunnar go for a few rainbow sharks here soon

You might want to do some research on rainbow sharks. THey are aggressive and tend to go after their own kind so you can only have one, particuarly in such a small tank. And a 36 wouldn't be large enough for a full-grown rainbow shark.

Last edited:
I have a Fluval C filter.. Rated for 40-70G

Black sand substrate! - I forgot about cories! I will add 4-6 to my stocking plan.

My tank measures 36"L x 15"D x 18"H

Measuring the amount of water from the top of the lowest part of my sand to where I have it filled its just over 16" H.. It's a little lower than I like it right now, so usually probably filled to 16.5" or 17".

Do you think that is too high for frogs?

I'd say no to the frogs in the 46. They are also hard to feed as they can't see well and need to be target fed. Plus if your fish get sick and you need to treat them it'll be hard to do with frogs in there as most fish meds aren't' good for frogs and vice versa. If you really want them I'd set up a 10 gal tank of their own.

Back
Top Bottom