Just getting started need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you set up your tank did you put anything in the tank to cycle it?

Nothing for 2 weeks. Just treated tap water. The same thing I do during a water change. I put in 2 bottles of bacteria before I put my fish in.

I dont know much about bottled bac, it dont sound like it will cycle your tank very well. Do you know anyone with a tank thats been running for a lomg time?

I got my decorations from a tank that was running but he took it down shortly after. I let them dry out though. I probably shouldn't have.

Ya, that killed all the good bacteria on them. If you can get any filter media from someone that will help. Like Blert said your not cycled. your doing a fish-in cycle. When you do water changes use a cypher hose to suck as much poop as you can to reduce how much ammo is in the water

Ya, that killed all the good bacteria on them. If you can get any filter media from someone that will help. Like Blert said your not cycled. your doing a fish-in cycle. When you do water changes use a cypher hose to suck as much poop as you can to reduce how much ammo is in the water

Yeah, I definitely do that every time. I've had this thing going for 3 months! Shouldn't it be cycled by now? I had a murdering spree last night in my tank. I took the upside down catfish out of my tank. I am pretty sure he is the reason my fish are dying.

All the fish that died last night have been there since the tank was new. Sounds like murder to me!

If you are testing after a water change the trace amounts of ammonia and nitrite may be coming from your source water. Not a big deal if you are using a conditioner that can temporarily detoxify the stuff. Test your source water.

The ammonia level of my source water is 1.0 ppm

The PH level of my source water is 8.4 ppm

Oh! I think I have a problem! I think I have ich in my tank! Little white spots on my fish. 2 of my grommies and one Molly. Everyone else seems to be fine.

my lyretail dalmatian is dying! I already lost a Grommy! I have my heat up to 82 but it took me almost a full day to get it there. I didn't notice this in time because they are always hiding in the cave plus I work a lot.

Is too much filtration a bad thing? I have a 30 to 60 gallon Walmart filter. That's the 1 I've been using for my 40 gallon since I started it. I got 2 AquaClear 110 filters with my 125 gallon tank. I cleaned 1 up really good. I bought foam and ceramic rings for it. I decided to go ahead and hook this up in my 40 gallon. I am now running the AquaClear 110 and the Walmart filter together at the same time in my small tank. Am I doing something really bad? I know the AquaClear 110 is rated for no less than 60 gallon tanks plus my other filter is rated for no less than 30 gallon tanks. The 2 of them are moving quite a lot of water. It doesn't seem to be bothering the fish any. I just want to make sure it's not doing something bad to the water in the tank. I thought extra filtration would be a good thing but I would like someone who knows what they're doing to tell me if it's a good or bad thing.

My biggest reason for doing this is that my walmart filter is constantly getting clogged or stopped by something. I assume that it's sand. All I know is that I have to constantly move the pipe to get the filter to kick back on. I would like a second filter to be there for when that happens. That way my filter isn't off all day while I'm at work.

As long as the current is not too strong then you are fine. If there is no spots for your fish to relaxe then you have a issue

My ammonia level is lower than .25 ppm but I'm not sure how much. My nitrite level is 0 ppm my PH hasn't changed even though I put something in the water to lower the PH. My test kit is an API but I don't have all of it.

Your source has ammo so make sure you use some prime when you treat the water. Dont forget to check your gh and kh as that plays a important part of your fish

My biggest reason for doing this is that my walmart filter is constantly getting clogged or stopped by something. I assume that it's sand. All I know is that I have to constantly move the pipe to get the filter to kick back on. I would like a second filter to be there for when that happens. That way my filter isn't off all day while I'm at work.

Have you changed the filter media in the walmart filter lately? Sorry to ask, but we all have brain farts now and then!! :lol:

If you have, then what are the actual "symptoms" of it stopping? Have you cleaned the impeller lately?

The above has nothing to do with the PH problem....just curious on the mechanical aspects of this case....

You said "my PH hasn't changed even though I put something in the water to lower the PH." What did you put in there - how much - how long did you wait to test the water after you put the (I assume) PH down?

I know what it is to work 2 jobs and maintain a tank(s), it is hard to do. But one thing you can't do, is rush it. The chemicals take time to take effect.

Keep me posted. I want to see this turn out good!! :fish2:

I put Seachem Neutral Regulator. Its only been 48 hours. I used the recommended dose for my size tank and I mixed it into the water I was using for my PWC. I use Tetra, Aquasafe Plus to condition my water. I also have Jungle, Start Right but I've never used it

Back
Top Bottom