Just got my first aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zencraft

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a 10 gallon tank and am ready to cycle it. I have a heater, and bio filter running. It is at about 89 degrees. I've added maybe 2.5 teaspoons of ammonia. Also just bought a test kit. So here is day ones results:

Levels of tank running for 24 hours nothing added

Levels
  • Ammonia < 0.25ppm
  • PH 7.6
  • Nitrite 0ppm
  • Nitrate 0ppm

I than added a few more drops worth of ammonia, tested an hour later

Levels
  • Ammonia 0.25ppm

Added few more drops worth and tested one hour later.

Levels
=Ammonia 1-2ppm

Added a bit more than half a teaspoon about 10 minutes ago I will test later on. And will post some pictures.

That's about 3 teaspoons of ammonia in a 10g tank. I'm probably wrong but I think something is wrong with your test kit. That should be way more than is needed to 10g.

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

I'd have to agree that there's something wrong. I put 2tsp of ammo in 29g and it shot up off the scale and I had to do a PWC.

What brand of ammo are you using?

Sorry I forgot to introduce my self! I am zencraft. I live in Toronto, I'm 21 and just decided one night I want to setup an aquarium in my room. So I did some research and went out and bought what I needed.

I look forward to our discussions and hope to learn a few things.

Anyways here are some pictures.

Here it is, my tank
img_1442240_0_42b4290447e3b448122fef738c02706c.jpg

How accurate are these?
img_1442240_1_00638454fa07ef68e4b71ba6637ebc20.jpg

I hear the bacteria thrive in low ninety temperatures.
img_1442240_2_741c5762afaa2e0d96b1d66943b06e09.jpg

My pump
img_1442240_3_22d514710146d1420004109b90108017.jpg

Test kit
img_1442240_4_a71fe7b54c95f1df1e9868148e339eba.jpg

Ammonia from wal-mart
img_1442240_5_bd3533d4f616f3500afcb01f47a154c3.jpg

Just tested, looks like about 4ppm maybe a little bit higher.

And I forgot to say "Welcome Aboard!" :D.

Great start with your tank and the test kit you have is the one I prefer. Can't tell what the ammo you're using has in it, but you want to make sure it's just ammo and water, no perfumes, soaps or additives that can effect your cycle.

Test the ammo in your tank again tomorrow and see what the level is at.

It depends on the brand, they can be dramatically different strengths. I used Blue Ribbon brand from Tru Value Hardware and it took over 250 drops to get to 4ppm in my 46 gallon. As long as you're using a quality test kit and are performing the test right...I'd trust it :)

However, if you're using strips...you might as well be guessing.

I am curious of the brand though since it's only a 10 gallon.

Last edited:
I just found this on another forum:

i purchased goldex ammonia at canadian tire today.its pure ammonia.it seemed like as much as i put in the reading wouldnt go up.so i tryed just straight ammonia in the vile to test and it tested non detectable.do you think there is something wrong with the test kit or the ammonia.i have a wardley ammonia professional water test lab kit.

After digging through other forums (people on other forums are idiots btw, lol), there's plenty of success stories. I've seen numerous accounts of it being effective and safe...just ungodly weak.

I agree that in many (if not most) cases of ammonia taking excessive amounts to get to the desired range...there is normally a problem. However, through personal experience...I know there are some brands which simply take a bucket full to dose up. Age of the bottle and how well it's sealed will make a big difference too. You don't buy pure ammo, you buy distilled water that has had ammonia bubbled through it. If poorly contained or old, the ammonia will gas out and severally dilute the solution.

Granted I've only done 10 minutes of research on that particular brand, so feel free to do more. Personally I'd keep adding it in.

Those sticker thermometers aren't as accurate as the regular ones that have the suction cup, in my opinion.

Welcome oh by the way. I am gonna tell on myself again. When I first set up my tank, and added ammonia the first time, using the Ace Janitoral kind, I tested and added, tested and added three or four times. I thought it was real nice of API to include two bottles of ammonia reagent, 2 for one I thought. You guessed it I was only using the first bottle and not both.... Ammonia was so high I had to start over. I didn't have a water changer and the tank is 55 gallon. Anyway I hope you're using the test kit the right way...

Those sticker thermometers aren't as accurate as the regular ones that have the suction cup, in my opinion.

Agreed.

In what research I have done (and comparing strip thermos to glass tube mercury side by side) green is your goal temp color. Your closer to 82 degrees on that tank by the pic, with a plus or minus 2 degrees for error. And a 10 gal can swing temperature much faster than a larger one.

Basically stick on strip thermometers are like mood rings for aquariums :)

Welcome to the wet and wonderful addiction we call AA! Good luck with the tank.

I have never been a fan of liquid ammo for fish-less cycle. I prefer store bought shrimp in a mesh bag for that. Just lazy I guess ;)

I heard I can use water from a lake to jump start the process. Im thinking of going down to lake ontario afterwork and getting some rocks to put in my tank. Does anyone know if this is a good idea or not?

zencraft said:
I heard I can use water from a lake to jump start the process. Im thinking of going down to lake ontario afterwork and getting some rocks to put in my tank. Does anyone know if this is a good idea or not?

Too big of a gamble for me.

Deckape said:
Too big of a gamble for me.

Agreed...I would sterilize them at the very least which would defeat the purpose of why you want them. Otherwise there's potential for parasites, mold, fungus, algae, etc...

*Yep, forgot pollution...good call.

I wouldn't. Biological filtration isn't normally found in large bodies of water. The shear size and dilution is what promotes healthy inhabitants there. Just like the ocean. All you may successfully do is drag in polluting contaminants.

eco23 said:
Agreed...I would sterilize them at the very least which would defeat the purpose of why you want them. Otherwise there's potential for parasites, mold, fungus, algae, etc...

Exactly....that's really risky

Ok, so I won't be doing that. What about buying a bottle containing bacteria meant to jump start the cycle? I plan to test ammonia tomorrow.

zencraft said:
Ok, so I won't be doing that. What about buying a bottle containing bacteria meant to jump start the cycle? I plan to test ammonia tomorrow.

The vast majority are a waste of money and can potentially develop an unstable bio-filter. If you absolutely have to use one...Tetra SafeStart is the only one I'd even allow within 100 feet of one of my tanks. There are also seeded sponges you can buy online. Personally I'd let nature take it's course or try to find some seeded media from an established tank.

This hobby definitely requires patience. Cycling is the most important aspect, IMO, but also requires the most patience to establish a healthy aquarium to build on.

Back
Top Bottom