Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Just got setup

just got done filling my 40 gallon bow front, putting the decorations in, and hooking up all the equipment. I went to my friends house to get a cup of gravel. It is very cold out and the car ride was about 10 minutes and the water the gravel was with got slightly cool on the way back to my house. Do you think it is okay, like the bacteria did not die off? I put it in my tank already. On Monday I am going to buy some neon tetras to help cycle.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would recommend a fishless cycle. The seed material u got will help move it along. Neons in particular are a poor choice for an uncycled tank. They are vulnerable to changes in water quality and ammonia. You will certainly lose some or all of them while the tank is cycling.

If u do decide to fishless cycle, check out the articles section on the forum. It will help u get a good idea of the process and the reasons behind it.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

you should look for a seeded sponge and put it in your filter this will speed up the cycling by alot your seeded gravel with the bacteria should be fine
Old 02-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As far as getting cold, that would actually help the bacteria survive longer so it was a good thing.

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com