Just Like Starting Over ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
After a disastrous infestation of snails (resulting from inexperience with live plants), I'm contemplating starting over, maybe from scratch. Could really use advice.

No amount of loaches, assassin snails, or snail traps permanently removed unwanted snails from my 40gal FW tank. The joy of being a peaceful aquarium owner was completely overshadowed by my becoming perhaps the most notorious invertebrate mass murderer in human history - going on 5yrs....

So now - the tank has been purged of all gravel, and fake plants/driftwood. There are few, if any visible snails, but I KNOW they're lurking in hoses, tubes, filter media. Due to natural attrition (& COVID-19), I have only 1 bristlenose pleco & 2 black skirt tetra. I'd like to save these fish if at all possible.

Q: How can I safeguard against snails in a new tank? I'd prefer to recycle filter media (if possible) to accelerate the cycling of a new tank. BUT snail eggs are always in filters during tank cleaning. Is there a fine mesh bag (?) that media can be placed in a new tank to catch & contain snails?

Any & all advice is welcome. If the best option to insure a clean tank is starting fresh with a new Ammonia cycle start, I will do that. I'd be devastated if after the investment of time & money starting a new tank, I still have these monsters in my tank

Cheers,

Bobby

Back
Top Bottom