Just looking for some advice on my betta tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannonnoll

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

I'm working on a planted tank which will eventually house a betta fish. I've completed the hard scape and am controlling the urge to buy more supplies until my next pay day lol. The tank itself is 5g, I was hoping for some recommendations on a nice compact filter that won't disturb the water too much. I've heard they're jumpers so I probably won't go for a hob and lidless like I have with my other tank.

Also, what do you guys look for when selecting your fish? Any red flags that will eventually lead to disease?

I was going to include photos of the scape but I'm still not sure how to do that lol.

A great little filter is the Aquaneat Low Water Level filter. A photo is attached. Its main intention is for shallow spaces like turtle enclosures, but I use it on some tanks like a 1g shrimp nursery. Very quiet and simple, suction cups that work well; the flow is not adjustable but it's very minimal and close to the unit. I set it high so the intake is in the water but the rest is above. Doesn't cost much, I found mine at Amazon, where there are videos from people who are using them.

I've never had a betta that jumped, though I too have heard they can do it. Maybe because I stock the tank with so many different things to keep their super minds occupied? I don't know. But a lid is always a good idea.

I just look for love when I choose a betta. :love:I'm sure someone else here has good advice about warning signs to look for of future illness.

Attachments

• 61FmdygzI6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61FmdygzI6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 13
A great little filter is the Aquaneat Low Water Level filter. A photo is attached. Its main intention is for shallow spaces like turtle enclosures, but I use it on some tanks like a 1g shrimp nursery. Very quiet and simple, suction cups that work well; the flow is not adjustable but it's very minimal and close to the unit. I set it high so the intake is in the water but the rest is above. Doesn't cost much, I found mine at Amazon, where there are videos from people who are using them.

I've never had a betta that jumped, though I too have heard they can do it. Maybe because I stock the tank with so many different things to keep their super minds occupied? I don't know. But a lid is always a good idea.

I just look for love when I choose a betta. :love:I'm sure someone else here has good advice about warning signs to look for of future illness.
Is that filter available in a more unobtrusive colour scheme?

Unfortunately, no. It is rather garish, isn't it? But the tiny size (3 x 3 x 2"deep) and quietness made me an instant fan. Since it sits so high, mostly above the water line, I don't see the red top unless the tank lid is off for water changes, feeding, etc.

Unfortunately, no. It is rather garish, isn't it? But the tiny size (3 x 3 x 2"deep) and quietness made me an instant fan. Since it sits so high, mostly above the water line, I don't see the red top unless the tank lid is off for water changes, feeding, etc.
Sorry. Im making a joke. I promised to add a smiley face when my english sense of humour is at play so as not confuse people.

Saying that. As a Derby County fan i couldnt possibly go for anything red and white as its our local rivals colours. Why cant they just go for a nice black and white colour scheme (thats our colours btw) which would go much better with a traditional black background.

Seriously though, make that filter all black. They will sell a bucketload more of them.

:oops:Oops, sorry

Yes, black would be the better idea. I'd go for a light blue also.

I ended up going for the aqua one clearview, it was cheap and id rather maximise room in the tank and spend a little time making a decent lid. now to find a decent and affordable heater and think about plants.

[I was going to include photos of the scape but I'm still not sure how to do that lol.]

Good advice given to me from this site on uploading pictures:

-After writing your message, click 'Go Advanced'
-Scroll down and look for 'Manage Attachments'. Click that.
-Click on 'Choose File' in the box that appears. There should be several of these, so you can do more after completing this first one.
-After you Choose File your pictures should show up to choose from. If you are on a desktop or laptop computer, you would've already transferred pictures from your phone to it.
-Click 'Select'. Then 'Upload'
-Close that window. Click 'Submit Reply'
-You won't see your picture attached until it posts, so go on good faith that it's really there and post your message.

Hope this helps. Your setup is no doubt different from mine, but armed with all this it may be easier to figure out the little differences and find your way.

How about Marimo moss balls for your tank? As well as being differently shaped from other living things they have a wealth of benefits including sucking up nitrates and encouraging beneficial bacteria.

[I was going to include photos of the scape but I'm still not sure how to do that lol.]

Good advice given to me from this site on uploading pictures:

-After writing your message, click 'Go Advanced'
-Scroll down and look for 'Manage Attachments'. Click that.
-Click on 'Choose File' in the box that appears. There should be several of these, so you can do more after completing this first one.
-After you Choose File your pictures should show up to choose from. If you are on a desktop or laptop computer, you would've already transferred pictures from your phone to it.
-Click 'Select'. Then 'Upload'
-Close that window. Click 'Submit Reply'
-You won't see your picture attached until it posts, so go on good faith that it's really there and post your message.

thank you!!! once its planted up ill post a pic :) i lost my hardscape photos when my phone broke recently :(

Back
Top Bottom