Just starting a new 20g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark_the_shark

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently got a top fin 20g starter kit! This is my setup so far. I plan to cycle the water a few weeks then adding plants and fish later. Any advice? 1489994371962.jpg

Great start...may be some more height to hardscape. Or an additional smaller rock or piece wood. Look great though

Love the set up of the wood you have!:) I would add the plants before you get the fish and cycle with them in, personal preference but I sometimes find that the plants mess with the ph of the tank!

Buy a test kit and do a fishless cycle.
Base your plant selection on the lighting you plan to use.
Add plants ahead of time (as mentioned above).

Great start...may be some more height to hardscape. Or an additional smaller rock or piece wood. Look great though
Thank you! I plan to add some java moss to the driftwood. I might try and find a smaller rock at the beach or something.

Love the set up of the wood you have!:) I would add the plants before you get the fish and cycle with them in, personal preference but I sometimes find that the plants mess with the ph of the tank!
Thank you! Would you reccomend adding the plants before I put the water in? Some of the plants I have are frail. I am thinking the ammonia I add to the water should benefit the plants when I start cycling the water.

Thank you! Would you reccomend adding the plants before I put the water in? Some of the plants I have are frail. I am thinking the ammonia I add to the water should benefit the plants when I start cycling the water.

I would fill it so there's a couple of inches depth and then plant them, this allows them to stay upright and in place :)

Buy a test kit and do a fishless cycle.
Base your plant selection on the lighting you plan to use.
Add plants ahead of time (as mentioned above).
Luckily I bought a test kit ahead of time. Would you reccomend adding all the plants before I add the water and ammonia? The plants that I have are quite frail.

I added my plants and water. The water is murky from the seachem flourite sand. I started the filter and added ammonia ?

Im different. Im more into plants than fish. I cycle with flakes or shrimp. Never been more about fish than plants. I think I put guppies in at four months this time which was early. Old school ways were no fish in first 6 months so guess im just used to it. I dont check my params everyday its like watching your 401k...stress lol

Disclaimer....dont listen to me lol

Im different. Im more into plants than fish. I cycle with flakes or shrimp. Never been more about fish than plants. I think I put guppies in at four months this time which was early. Old school ways were no fish in first 6 months so guess im just used to it. I dont check my params everyday its like watching your 401k...stress lol

Disclaimer....dont listen to me lol
Haha I see. Whats your favorite plants? I put some java moss on my driftwood. Do you use natural sunlight?

All plants are my favorites..lol. Im running a stingray on current tank.

Back
Top Bottom