Just starting out, New tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tertatorres said:
Wow,:D thats awesome!
So why do you like cichlids? i see them alot but whats your opinion.

They've got attitude lol. Cichlids honestly seemed like the best choice when I got my new tank because, at least the african cichlids, they like water which is similar to my local water, crunchy and alkaline lol.

These like to set up territories and can get somewhat aggressive, so best kept with other cichlids. They live longer, and will openly recognize their owners after a while. Really hardy fish too (at least yellow labs are), and easy to care for.

They've got attitude lol. Cichlids honestly seemed like the best choice when I got my new tank because, at least the african cichlids, they like water which is similar to my local water, crunchy and alkaline lol.

These like to set up territories and can get somewhat aggressive, so best kept with other cichlids. They live longer, and will openly recognize their owners after a while. Really hardy fish too (at least yellow labs are), and easy to care for.

thats awesome!, im still looking for a favorite haha, i like the neons but i want to find a 'center' piece:ROFLMAO:

derail said:
Great looking siamese fighting fish. Does he leave the pleco alone?

Yes, he's in a full community tank with rainbows, plecos, a gourami and whiteclouds. And he leaves everybody alone.

I hear that. Before converting to a livebearer tank, I had a pearl gourami as a centerpiece, along with a school of black skirt tetras...then I moved and found my water was too hard and basic for them. I'm amazed I've acclimated a platy to this water so well

Hholly said:
Yes, he's in a full community tank with rainbows, plecos, a gourami and whiteclouds. And he leaves everybody alone.

That's cool, I've heard you can put them in a community tank but never tried. Afraid if the potential chaos lol

Cool freshwater tank. I myself have a saltwater one. I ran into many issues when I started mine as well. Being mislead from my lfs sold me fish that need a much larger tank. Im looking to get a larger one and cycle it but all fish seem healthy and happy for now with plenty of room. best advice I have is the same as others gravel vac will save time and frustration. Test kits are a must. And stay on top of pwc and testing. I know it's not fresh but pictures of tank should be attached.

Attachments

• image-4097018875.jpg
    image-4097018875.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 52
  • image-190884099.jpg
    image-190884099.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image-449131960.jpg
    image-449131960.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 57
Cool night shots.

Attachments

• image-1663729054.jpg
    image-1663729054.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 55
  • image-788953301.jpg
    image-788953301.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 53
Higgins335 said:
Cool freshwater tank. I myself have a saltwater one. I ran into many issues when I started mine as well. Being mislead from my lfs sold me fish that need a much larger tank. Im looking to get a larger one and cycle it but all fish seem healthy and happy for now with plenty of room. best advice I have is the same as others gravel vac will save time and frustration. Test kits are a must. And stay on top of pwc and testing. I know it's not fresh but pictures of tank should be attached.

My jealousy is immense! I've been following this post cuz I am also cycling my first freshwater tank but I'm doing a fish less cycle. I want a salt water do bad!! But no room for the tank I want right now. One day! For now I'm reading up and getting all the knowledge I can. Here's some tank shots. They are old as it dosnt look like this now. I've rearranged. No fish yet put soon!

Attachments

• image-4108830718.jpg
    image-4108830718.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 49
  • image-4146004176.jpg
    image-4146004176.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 49
Hey op be careful w the center piece. Many use potentially aggressive fish and it causes issues. So caution...

Good job in returning the shark and molly. We'll see how the CAE does. So you have 3 Tetras, the Cory, a Molly, the CAE and a guppy, right? That's more than enough for a fish-in cycle. Did you get the test kit yet? It's very very important to get one to know what's happening in the tank. The fish may seem fine but there still could be ammonia in the water and we won't know that until you can get the water tested. In fact some fish stores test water for free so until you can get your test kit you might want to take a sample of your water to one and have them test it (just note down the actual numbers of the tests, don't let them tell you it's fine b/c most times it isn't, and note whether they are using a liquid kit or strips. Liquid kits are more accurate and if they are using strips then the test results may not be accurate).

deffinatly get the test kit as well as i have learned from the same thing you have done...live plants will help you tank cycle, and keep up the water changes

Looks good!

View attachment 72576

Ignore the diatoms and rotting shrimp. That tank is cycling, although I do have a couple ghost shrimp in there right now. You might be able to pick them out in this picture.

View attachment 72577

View attachment 72580

My crawfish, Delacroix, and my new female betta, still unnamed. Water is a little tannin stained.

View attachment 72581

View attachment 72584

View attachment 72585

My puffers (green spotted puffers) decided to be photogenic today! I can never get all three in one shot!

View attachment 72586

And my male betta, Mr. Pink.

Your tank is off to a good start!

Last pic is a very blurred shot of my guppies. They wouldn't cooperate.

My 29 gallon planted community tank. Danios, skirt Tetras, Platys, mollies and otos share this tank.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120122_161734.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120122_161734.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 55
  • ForumRunner_20120122_161754.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120122_161754.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 50
  • ForumRunner_20120122_161821.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120122_161821.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 50
  • ForumRunner_20120122_161858.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120122_161858.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 51
  • ForumRunner_20120122_162100.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120122_162100.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 47
  • ForumRunner_20120122_162116.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120122_162116.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 48
  • ForumRunner_20120122_162203.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120122_162203.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 48
  • ForumRunner_20120122_162232.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120122_162232.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 46
I am not big on center piece fish. I prefer plants and schools. If I had a bigger tank for planted I would keep same species bit up numbers considerably.

Good job in returning the shark and molly. We'll see how the CAE does. So you have 3 Tetras, the Cory, a Molly, the CAE and a guppy, right? That's more than enough for a fish-in cycle. Did you get the test kit yet? It's very very important to get one to know what's happening in the tank. The fish may seem fine but there still could be ammonia in the water and we won't know that until you can get the water tested. In fact some fish stores test water for free so until you can get your test kit you might want to take a sample of your water to one and have them test it (just note down the actual numbers of the tests, don't let them tell you it's fine b/c most times it isn't, and note whether they are using a liquid kit or strips. Liquid kits are more accurate and if they are using strips then the test results may not be accurate).

Ok so, its been a couple of days since ive last updated.
I got 3 more tertas, but im taking the cae back tomorrow morning. I know i shouldn't have bought more, but i was having a bad day and a petsmart just so happen to be in front of me.My mistake. so now its
5 tetras,cory,molly and guppie. I havent been able to get a test kit just yet. I would have ordered it but i didnt get what i was suppose to. SOO everything i needed was held back. But im going to take my water at the end of the week. I believe the tests are strips. But my question is. shouldnt i be fine for the rest of the month(just doing daily water changes). My water is clear, and has been for the past week. Im feeding them by the 30 sec rule. i also picked up some prime(i didnt know they had it and i had bought a bottle of stresscoat, so i returned that and got a thing of prime, saved some money too!) The fish seem to be doing just fine for now. Im going to get the kit hopefully this weekend. I made myself a little syphon thing that actually works quite well.SO overall, how am i doing? I know i messed up with the extra fish but come on, it was just one of those days-.-.. but ill make up for it!!:D

Btw guys, thanks for sharing the pictures:DD, your tanks look awesome!!
Once i get a decent job, im definally moving into saltwater. I feel like i can handle a small 10 g tank. Maybe some live rock. Just something to add to my room. I feel like starting a sw tank that small, would help me just learn the basics. I KNOW i can handle both tanks. But maybe im rushing:DD Let me know what you guys think. Im not going to rush into anything, i mean i learned this much so far. i feel like i could handle it. Buttt not until i get a decent job...
Again thanks for sharing!!!:D

Sounds like a cool idea, I'm a fresh water/brackish water guy myself. I hear sw is an investment, and if you can, I would start with a bigger tank, maybe 30 since, as we know, a bigger system allows more room for error.

Back
Top Bottom