Keeping Filter Media Alive for a Month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michelle504

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting a new fish tank in about a month (for birthday) because I'd love to get a Betta in a 5g to add to my tanks. :D A friend of mine has a 5g they no longer want and are selling once they sell their fish this weekend. I asked if I could have their media in order to establish my new 5g. They have black gravel which I would love to have in my new 5g, so I'd like to just use all of their gravel. Is there anyway I can keep the BB alive in the gravel and filter until I can get my tank and transfer the media to my new tank to cycle it? Maybe just add a couple of fish flakes once a week to keep ammonia up? And do a pwc maybe once every 2 weeks?

Also the filter is a Marineland Eclipse so the filter is laid flat which the water runs over and then goes through a biowheel. The tank I'm looking at getting has a Whisper 2-5 filter which is a vertical cartridge. Is there any way I can keep the BB on the filter alive and then somehow use the much larger media to cycle the new smaller one? Could I maybe cut the filter media out when I get my new tank and stuff it in front of the new?

Thanks! :thanks:

Hang on, I might be mixed up...so you'll only have the filter and the gravel but no tank? If so, you could always use a large Tupperware container or something similar to simulate your tank and support the bacteria.

Found out today that I can keep the tank for a month or two. So can I just feed the tank fish flakes?

Pure ammonia is best (see the guide), but adding fish food in a mesh bag or throwing in a couple (dead) shrimp works too.

Back
Top Bottom