Keeping Native Species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mooms

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a 240 gallon (8'x2'x2') tank and I'm wanting to set up a native lake scene with bass, crappie and catfish. I've had a 125 gallon African Cichlid tank for years so I'm not a beginner to keeping large aquariums. I was just looking for any advice when it comes to setting up a native tank and keeping native fish. Thanks!

I just bought a 240 gallon (8'x2'x2') tank and I'm wanting to set up a native lake scene with bass, crappie and catfish. I've had a 125 gallon African Cichlid tank for years so I'm not a beginner to keeping large aquariums. I was just looking for any advice when it comes to setting up a native tank and keeping native fish. Thanks!

Hey mooms and welcome to AA,

Well seeing that your from Texas, and from my times I've spent their with relatives, it should be easy to do a native species tank and keeping it native. You can get some sand from local rivers or lakes, clean it, bake it, and get it all aquarium safe. Get driftwood from the rivers and lakes, sand blast 'em, clean 'em up, water log them. Put some Texas native plants in their, and just have fun with it. The easiest part is that everything that you put in the tank you can pretty much get from your backyard. Nothings more native then next door.

,Ben

I'd think that tank would be a bit on the small size for bass, crappie, and catfish (at least, channel,flathead, blue, etc). All grow quite large and are very active... the bass and crappie especially. Definitely some options available, I just don't think those 3 are where you should start looking.

FishCrazyBenBOMB said:
Maybe you want to look around for smaller fish like panfish, minnows, or possibly a type of gar.

I agree smaller fish like bluegills and pumpkinseeds would be be better suited for this. Bass and crappie will grow huge will year round warm water and constant food supply. Jetajockey is very knowledgeable on the subject of keeping native fish, i would pick his brain.

Thanks Ben, you have given me some really good ideas for setting up the landscape! I want to display a variety of native species, any ideas on species I can put in a 240 that won't out grow the tank?

Back
Top Bottom