Kinda jumping ahead...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
But I was wondering in all of your experiences... What are good tank mates for angels? I will be getting a major upgrade on my tank in the next few months (and I say few months to allow time for cycling and cleanup... This tank will be a
Project for sure, still unsure of how big the upgrade is but it's atleast a 50g for sure. Went to LFS today just looking around and they had some long finned Rams I fell in love with. But I've always dreamed of having angela so I will go around with whatever co-exist best with them.

I've never seen log finned rams, I just googled them and wow.

I'm not sure if the long fins would effect it but Iknow people have had good success with rams and angels.

Platys are also good, you could move your platys from your 10 over to your big tank and do something else with your 10 gal. ;) puffers perhaps? lol.

Most tetras provided they are not nippers and won't fit in an angels mouth. Some have kept them with neons well but it's hit or miss it seems. Getting the angels as small.young as possible is best too.

Most bottom dwellers would be good too.

Long finned Rams should be okay, though long finned Rams have been poorly breed of late and there survival rates seem to be poor. Most of the European and probably the US stock come from Asia where the breeding practises are not perfect to say the least. My dad lost his last long finned a few weeks ago to whirling disease and sadly diseases, sudden deaths and parasites seems to be more and more common with them lately, I
personally have found they are also very prone to Ich.

Pic of my dads last long finned, he bred them for years but has stopped recently.

I would recommend the standard German Ram like in my profile pic, sometimes called wild caught - but never really true, Bolivian Rams, or Red Breast Acara, also included in the pics.

Attachments

• image-3642834294.jpg
    image-3642834294.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image-52418746.jpg
    image-52418746.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
If you wanted to do something bigger Keyhole Cichlids are lovely peaceful fish, almost to the point of shyness, they would go well with Angels. I think you would like them, check them out.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm so excited to get my upgrade tank. I will for sure be doing a mixture of mollies and platies, will most likely keep my 10g as a tank for fry as I'm sure my Micky mouse's days of having fry are far from over! I'll do some research on the other fish you guys mentioned and see what I like.

Yeah, any peaceful tetra species would probably be OK. I recommend not to get silvertip tetras-IME they are kind of nippy. I think the same would go for serpae tetras. But, there are still tons of tetras out there that would be OK. Bloodfin tetras and Rummynose tetras are a favorite of many people on here, you might want to look in to those.

bud29 said:
Yeah, any peaceful tetra species would probably be OK. I recommend not to get silvertip tetras-IME they are kind of nippy. I think the same would go for serpae tetras. But, there are still tons of tetras out there that would be OK. Bloodfin tetras and Rummynose tetras are a favorite of many people on here, you might want to look in to those.

My LFS always seem to have an excess of blood fin tetras and I do like the looks of them a lot. I do like majority of tetras available, but like I said I will definitely be basing my decisions of off what fish do best with angels before just liking the looks of them and putting random fish together. If I remember reading correctly... Shouldn't the angels be introduced last once water params are more stable or would they be ok being introduced first after cycling?

That's what I was thinking, I'll probably stick with adding the more hardy fish first and then do the angels last.

I have 10 veil angels in a 220g. These are the fish I have with the angels: Diamond and Rummy nose tetras, Threadfin Rainbowfish, Rams (GBR, Gold and Electric Blues), Cory cats, Yo-yo loaches, and my favorite Whiptail Cats (also call Twig Catfish). Dwarf gourami's usually do well with angels as do rainbowfish. If you like the Rams a pair would do fine with Angels. You have alot of choices!

I have 4 angles with 2 silver dollars 2 clownloaches and a pleco in a 75 all doing great. They all started at the same size about an inch. 7 mos later all doing great. I had 6 serpae tetras that i cycled the tank with because they are hardy and some where i read that they were good with angles but they chased the angles and constantly niped their fins so they were rehomed.

mikem691 said:
I have 4 angles with 2 silver dollars 2 clownloaches and a pleco in a 75 all doing great. They all started at the same size about an inch. 7 mos later all doing great. I had 6 serpae tetras that i cycled the tank with because they are hardy and some where i read that they were good with angles but they chased the angles and constantly niped their fins so they were rehomed.

I love serpae tetras, but definitely won't be getting them since they don't do well with angels. I really like pleco's, how big of a tank should they have? I know they can grow to be pretty big.

And another question, I know angels prefer a pH somewhere between 6-7, my pH usually tests in the 7.8, 8 at the highest range. How do I get my pH acceptable for angels? Should I stay away from the pH up/down bottles I see at LFS or is
using it on a regular basis ok?

Do stay away from PH up and down chemicals, they are only temporary fixes. You can add peat or black water extract, although many do not like the tint of tannins in the water. DW can help but really not enough to matter. I had a high PH, GH, KH due to our horrible tap water and ended up going RO. Now when I do daily 10g water changes I know I need 6 gallons of RO to 4 gallons of tap. I now have soft water with a PH of around 6.8. But I did it for plants more than for the fish. One thing you need to know is you don't have to lower your PH. The angels will adjust. It's more important to have a stable PH than trying to adjust it. It's a matter of personal choice.

Rivercats said:
Do stay away from PH up and down chemicals, they are only temporary fixes. You can add peat or black water extract, although many do not like the tint of tannins in the water. DW can help but really not enough to matter. I had a high PH, GH, KH due to our horrible tap water and ended up going RO. Now when I do daily 10g water changes I know I need 6 gallons of RO to 4 gallons of tap. I now have soft water with a PH of around 6.8. But I did it for plants more than for the fish. One thing you need to know is you don't have to lower your PH. The angels will adjust. It's more important to have a stable PH than trying to adjust it. It's a matter of personal choice.

Ok that's good to know, so far from fish in cycling my 10g I have now I have had a pH of 7.8-8 the whole time, and I believe I'm now in my 5th week.

Angels are good community fish, but they do have their moments. I've had lots that are peaceful and a few that were insufferable. The scenario was most often an alpha male doing what alpha males do best.

As far as stocking, most peaceful fish work but I do suggest staying away from the smaller tetra/rasbora etc species.

My ph is a constant 8.0 no problems. My lfs uses lacal breeders same water so no problems.

bud29 said:

Glolight tetras are good, I have a small school and they are really peaceful, look lovely when you have the light on in the tank, mine are flurescent pink :)

Back
Top Bottom