kinda repetative , when is it done??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biohazzrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how do ya know when ya cucleing is done? thats all i need to know thanx

First you need to know when it's started...i.e. when you start seeing trace level of ammonia...usually a couple of weeks depending on what you are using to cycle. Once the ammonia peeks it will convert to nitrite...so you should start seeing levels of that showing up. Nitrite with then convert to nitrate and then that will level off as well...maybe not completely depending on the water quality going into your tank. Your biological filter will always produce some amount of nitrate. Once everything has peaked and then dropped to 0 on your tests....your cycle is complete

ok cool cause my amonia is like the highest the tester reads so do a water change? then it shall get better and the nitrate and nitrites willl take over...

Pop on up to the Articles section at the top of the page to get some more insight.

Quickly though....the ammonia will give way to ammonia removing bacteria...which will turn it into nitrite....which will give way to nitrite removing bacteria...which will turn it into nitrate...which is generally present and not harmful to most fish...only inverts and corals.

Read the links provided for info. You want 0 ammonia, not just "low ammonia." "Highish nitrate" is harmfull to fish.

Back
Top Bottom