Kuhlis on Sharp Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SidFishous

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think Kuhli Loaches are the coolest, and would love to have some in my tank once I get going. (I'm still in the fishless cycling phase of my first freshwater aquarium.) However, I've put in some rather sharp black gravel I got at Petco, and I'm worried that Kuhli's won't like that. I do have a small section of about 15 2" - 3" smooth black rocks in the tank.... what if I put a bunch more in and made an oasis of larger, smooth rocks? Would that give the Kulhi's a happy place to hang out, or am I better off just sticking with Ghost Shrimp or other bottom feeders that won't mind the pointy substrate? What about Corys? I don't want anyone to hurt their soft bellies or barbs! But I also don't want to have to swap out all the gravel! Thanks for any thoughts on this....

I love kuhli loaches too. You can add a smoother gravel on top of what you have but kuhli loaches have a habit of burrowing so doing that might not work for them. If you do add a smoother gravel it would probably be ok for the cory's.

Maybe remove the gravel from 1/2 of one side and put sand in?? Leave the other half gravel.

Thank you!

Thanks for the replies! Hmmm... now I see how people end up getting several tanks once they get into aquariums! May have to set up a second tank with a softer substrate once I get this first one going!

Back
Top Bottom