Late cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I honestly would do another water change and then try another nitrite kit, something is just not right here. maybe have an LFS test it for you, ask to actually see the results.

I also do daily tests on my 10g and it works fine...Ammonia 0, NitrItes 0, NitrAtes 20 but I have order refills.

I guess you are delayed a bit again. Mr. Eco knows his stuff. I guess it is back to testing and waiting. Why not move some media over from the 10 Gallon?

I guess you are delayed a bit again. Mr. Eco knows his stuff. I guess it is back to testing and waiting. Why not move some media over from the 10 Gallon?

Yea, I could do that, I have two aquaclears going on my 10g.

Aspencer said:
Yea, I could do that, I have two aquaclears going on my 10g.

As long as it isn't enough to destabilize the other tank, seeded media is always fantastic :). Usually with these crashes it only takes a few days to recover...you should be right back on track and hopefully done by the end of the week. If by Friday the no2 isn't back to dropping, go ahead and do another 50% pwc to be safe.

Reading another thread, I have a medium planted tank, no stem plants, and I dose excel daily in small amounts and flourish comprehensive twice a week. I will post picture of tank tonight.

Here is a picture of my tank. Could the sand be holding lots of NO2 & NO3 and releasing it to keep them unreadable?

Last edited:
Ammonia 0
NitrItes > 5 dark purple
NitrAtes > 160 dark red

Doing an 80% water change right now and redose.

On hour later...

Redosed Ammonia...2.5 ml
NitrItes are deep purple so maybe unreadable still
NitrAtes are between 80 and 40 so readable

I plan on doing another 80% water change tomorrow morning to get NitrItes down to a readable level.

Any comment or advise?

Dosed to almost 4 ppm yesterday after the water change

Ammonia 0
NitrItes > 5.0 Purple but see through
NitrAtes 160 deep maroon

Just did a 12 gallon water change

Retest in an hour, then redose 2.5 ml to 4.0

Ammonia 0
NitrItrIes > 2.0 see through purple
NitrAtes 20

Whew, down to readable levels...Going to dose just 1 ml to see if bacteria can eat the NitrItes so they go down and not starve the bacteria

Back
Top Bottom