Leaves in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people put indian almond leaves in tanks because it realeses tannins that lower the waters ph level.

Some people put indian almond leaves in tanks because it realeses tannins that lower the waters ph level.

Many types of leaves are used by hobbiests for those reasons. In addition to the tannic acid (generally pH lowering), they also release other natural compounds that fish can thrive in and are a place for infusoria to develop and grow (for very small fry this can be indispensable).

So do you let them decompose in the tank or change them every week or so?

We remove them when they begin to breakdown. Longer than a week, but we don't let them fully decompose.

Aside from Indian almond, are there tree leaves that are recommended and which ones should be avoided? Are these green or brown leaves? It that time of year when leaves start to fall and I was just curious.

That was awesome. It looked like a catfish. I didn't know they had bubble nests. I'm going to have to look this fish up.

Back
Top Bottom