Let There Be LIGHT (29 Gallon Tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobrummel

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I'm trying to figure out how much Santa needs to be saving/spending on a new community tank for my toddler to watch the cool fishes and see the mini fire engine that he thinks is the BEST EVER (but I digress)...

I have what I think is everything on my list, except for a hood/light. What kind do I get?! I don't plan on having a planted tank (need to low maintenance of silk at the moment), but might in the future if this becomes a life long hobby.

So, I'm thinking more budget than total wow factor, but I might like something with the "night time" effect if it fits in my...I mean Santa's, budget!

Any suggestions for where I can find something decent but inexpensive?
Thanks in advance!

I purchased mine at petsmart was like 40$ on sale national geographic it has day and night mode it's pretty good and fits ON my

20 gallon 30"wide

I would recommend for you to buy some real plants and some driftwood they are not that expensive looks nicer and helps your tank A LOT

The Marineland 29 gallon kit is often on sale at Petsmart for $119. That includes a decent heater and filter. Even it's stick on thermometer strip has always read the same as the in tank thermometer, so there isn't more to buy.

I have found it to be very toddler friendly. I put it on a super sturdy coffee table where he can see it. Being low to the ground means he can help and it's got a low center of gravity so I don't fuss over it tipping.

He was almost 4 when I got it, and he's been really good about the fish rules.

The things I love, compared to other kits ...

It's just a really good value, an uptick in quality without a huge price tag.

The way the lid is hinged it's hard to have accidents where something falls into the tank. My son can lift the lid a smidge and turn the light on and off by himself, where other kits (like his Tetra 10 gallon kit) I had to worry about something getting knocked off. It's neat that when I send him downstairs to put his shoes on, he can turn the lights on, I don't have to tell him to wait for me. I know he won't knock anything down.

The LED is a nice white light, and it's not very bright. Since you don't have plants you don't want a lot of light, you'll just get algae.

It does have a night mode with blue lights. My kiddo loves that too.

I got a GFCI outlet adapter on amazon for $10-15. That's a must. And I think the power head I got ($25) keeps the fish more playful, and has been useful to add aeration when needed. But there's not much that must be added.

The filter is big enough that if you have seeded filter media to get your cycle going, it will fit nicely.

29 is a great way to go. I got him his own 10 and it's more maintenance than the 29.

If it's a Santa surprise, you might want to quietly cycle the filter on a bucket for a month or more first, so the tank is really ready for fish. But doing a "fish in" cycle with just a few danios or platies, if you can commit to the vigilance and water changes, wouldn't be the worst thing ever. Bottled "add your fish immediately" bacteria don't work very often.

I found my little one was pretty patient about the cycling period, even on his birthday present tank. He understood the fish would get hurt if we didn't wait.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I just realized you only asked about the light. Lol.

I do have plants under that light, doing decently in a well lit room. I'm thinking of bumping it up and it will be inexpensive ... An $18 glass cover, and then slip the led light out of this hood. It has rubber feet so it works In the hood or sitting on a glass top. I can add a second or third of the same light or go for something like the above posts. I want to raise light levels slowly and to be able to drop it down easily, due to algae.

Welcome!
I like the suggestion of the dual mode LED hood since you are just looking for something low maintenance. You should be able to keep java fern under most cheaper options of lighting- mine grows in unlit tanks in the fishroom with just ambient room light. Java moss is also a possibility.

Thanks for the reply! Actually, you saved me the time of starting a new thread with your more complete answer! I was going to build my own tank with different filter, et al, but missed the Petca dollar/gallon sale which throws the calculations off a bit.

It's good to know that the Marineland tank wouldn't be a total disappointment if I have to go the kit route.

Severum Mama or Trennamw: I'm not totally adverse to doing something planted, especially if it is better for the tank, but I just didn't want to have to add a lot of extra trimming, feeding, fertilizing and the like! If you think I could have plants with the dual LED lights that come with that kit that would fit the "set it and forget it" motto, I'd be into it:) I don't think I would have very much ambient natural light in my initial tank location though.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
What can I say ... My son and I have had a flu bug all week, so I've got plenty of time to give TMI here ...

I had crypts, anubias, and java fern in that kit from the beginning, they didn't grow a lot but I also didn't have to fuss with fertilizers and all that. You can have a few plants but many types won't grow in there.

Now that I have more light I threw in more plants and fertilizers and a tiny bit of bottled co2 and I'm making a bit of a mess of it, lol. I'm learning and I'm glad I am not learning with a higher light tank, as everything can go haywire more quickly. But I'm also glad it'd only be about $20 for many different attractive ways to bump up to medium light.

I've noticed our LFS sometimes has kits for less than the chain stores, but I did a lot of research and chose the Marineland LED line as my first bargain-priced tank.

If you did go piece by piece, I'd recommend the Aquaclear/Fluval HOB filters and a glass lid with something like the light recommended above. There's less chance of the light falling into the tank. But kids drop lids closed, so you might even consider custom cut plexiglass? Two pieces, one notched for the filter, one with a handle glued on?

Since you have time, I'd look into plants more before you start. Look up dry start method, just for the heck of it, and visit Barr Report's website and look up Walstad style dirted tanks. It will all be a lot of info but you'll get to sniff out what intrigues you.

4 can be an age to make it a long term project ... Dry start a carpet plant, heavily plant and fill the tank, do the fishless cycle, then add fish. It'd spread it over a few months but it wouldn't make it a cool holiday gift.

For plants to significantly Change tank health and maintenance, in my limited experience and opinion, you need tons of them. And that becomes its own issue for starters.

You know what excites your kid, and what you have time for. Mine likes pirate ships, putting water in tubes for me to test, naming the fish, watching snails and shrimp, and doing stuff by himself (from feeding to putting the tall plants in front of the little ones).

My man is only 2.5 years now, so not a ton of help for the care and upkeep at the moment, but he does love to go to the pet store to look at the fish! It is a total test to see if he really would like the fish if they were at home or if the novelty it that he gets to run around the pet store!

I was looking for some lower ground type plants so, maybe I can do a combo of the low maintenance plants with some taller silks...

I hope you and kidlet get better soon (even though I do appreciate the info)!

Back
Top Bottom