Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Exclamation Leveling a 55g Stand with styrofoam?

Ok so ive got a problem with this 55 I just got. Its not level darn it! The stand is home made, and its not all as level as it should be top and bottem. Im thinking of using styrofoam under the tank itself to solve that problem. Then was wondering could I use a small piece of styrofoam underneath the four legs to level it out? Has anyone tried that, all comments and tips welcome.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The weight would just crush it or the leg would just push threw. Use paint stirrers or shimmes
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I used 4 shims on the front of my 55 gallon stand works great!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im girlfriend says just one of the legs is a little longer, so i might try to sand it down a hair. Another think though, has anyone put styrofoam under the tank/above the stand itself? Does it help at all?
Old 07-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've heard ot does but have never done it
Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Styro will help level out inperfections in the top surface of the stand, but will not help to level the stand itself, as the weight will distribute evenly across the styro and crush it all the same amount. Hence unlevel stand = unlevel stand with stryo. Your only option is to the level the stand by sanding down the legs or by placing a shim under the legs. Personally I like the plastic shims rather then the wooden ones for aquariums.

On a side note, if the stand has feet or legs rather than a continous bottom surface, your weight will all be distributed to those feet rather than across the floor. Make sure your flooring is sufficient to support the weight, so you don't punch a hole in the floor with your stand once the tank if filled.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah i think im gonna get a large file and sand down the one leg to make it even, sadly I dont have a powersander nor know anyone whom does. This is gonna be a fun project, ive also gotta reseal the tank aswell. On a side note the stand is on a concrete floor covered by carpet, so thats not a problem.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMessykinn
On a side note the stand is on a concrete floor covered by carpet, so thats not a problem.
That actually might be the problem. Pull the carpet and the padding up and check to make sure the concrete is level.

David
Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAl View Post
That actually might be the problem. Pull the carpet and the padding up and check to make sure the concrete is level.

David
Ill give it a look, we messured the legs, one of the legs is about 1/8 of a inch longer then the other 3, but ill see if I can check under the carpet. Im renting the place I living, It was a Garage converted into a apartment. Thanks a ton for the tips.

Another thing, would I be better off shimming the 3 legs apose to slimming the one down?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I use newspapers and hide them under a carpet under the tank
Old 07-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 180g tank in my apartment, the complex is 50+ yrs old so the floors aren't level... shims worked for mine like a charm. And when you're done pushing the shims under you can break off the excess pieces to make it look better

Tags
55 gallon, foam, level, stand, styrofoam, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com