LFS recommending fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I researched it. You can't just basically buy a bunch of pre-existing products, put them in a package and patent and resell them. There's something there, but it would need to be a company like Tetra who develops they're own chemicals and packages it. It'd still be nice if the lfs's carried the necessary items to do it though... Even if they didn't actively promote it.

That 7Enigma guy who wrote that awesome article on this site about fishless cycling had a brilliant idea about bottling nitrItes to basically cut your cycle in half. That'd be an idea worth exploring.

So we are back to the originial idea. Convincing LFS to sell bio balls and pure ammonia for fishless cycling for their profit and making fishless cycling more common. I am ok with that.

I like it also. It'll help beginners get going, and get the started off on the right foot. Not quite as nice as the "everything in one kit", but it would help out a lot.
As it is, it's pretty hard to find the right(no surfactants or dyes/perfumes) kind of ammonia, and most beginners, when they read to add ammonia, would add just any old type(I almost did till I read about the additives in it).
Now, bottled nitrites, that's an interesting idea. Only one I could think of that would be better would be a filter setup that comes precycled, but shelf life would be a major issue.

That is a great idea too...Ask the LFS to cycle a filter the customer purchaces from them...mmmmm here we go again

I was actually thinking of one that could be sold through the chain stores, as much as they can also cause problems. Only reason being is that most people start out there instead of their LFS.

Sometimes, these little ideas can create big change, and this one could cause a change for the better.
I still can't figure out for the life of me where the bacteria normally come from for a fishless cycle, especially when you have city water, where the chlorine kills the bacteria.

Supposedly its everywhere. Just needs the right conditions to get busy.

Might be a good thing I found the bacteria in a bottle then. I run active static air filtration(cleans everything out of the air, dust, smoke, everything). Only reason for that is I got tired of cleaning computer radiator every week because of the teardown involved to clean it. Used to take me almost 3 hours every week just to clean the dust out. Kindof my fault there though, I run the comp 24/7, and one radiator handles all the heat of the board.

The owner of my LFS has a website. He likes the idea of carrying the right ammonia and setting up a fishless tank with bio balls for seed material. I told him.that I would have given him 10 bucks extra to hang the AC 50 filter on the same fishless tank. He said he would consider it, and thanked me for the email. One small step for a more common fishless cycle. The store is Fish Safari in Virginia Beach.

Sent from my DROIDX using Aquarium

I didn't do a fishless cycle and I still would have loved to have had some established media like that to speed things along. I have a friend with an established tank, unfortunately she had just changed her filter pads and thrown the old ones away. So, there is money to be made off of us yahoos that do it all wrong too!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

I didn't think of that. I hope he adopts the idea and the word spreads. My pleasure and thank y'all

Update about my LFS.
The owner's name is Leroy. I think I have convinced him to set up a 10 or 20 gallon tank and run a continuous fishless cycle in it. If he puts bioballs in it and has it independant of his central filtration system, then he could sell them to customers for seed material to begin a fishless cycle and to customers who may have to do a restart for whatever reason. Anyhow this is a good LFS
that even may start carrying the good ammonia and even cycle filters for a fee. He has a nice selection of fish, plants, ect.

Congratulations Deckape. I'm going to try the same up here at the LFS that recommended fishless cycling. Hope this catches on.

One small step for the danios!

Deckape said:
Update about my LFS.
The owner's name is Leroy. I think I have convinced him to set up a 10 or 20 gallon tank and run a continuous fishless cycle in it. If he puts bioballs in it and has it independant of his central filtration system, then he could sell them to customers for seed material to begin a fishless cycle and to customers who may have to do a restart for whatever reason. Anyhow this is a good LFS
that even may start carrying the good ammonia and even cycle filters for a fee. He has a nice selection of fish, plants, ect.

Good going Deckape!

Might I suggest that you post his business info in the vendor spotlight area (I think that's right?), so others in the area might be inclined go there instead of a box store.

Anyway, good job!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Mr. Limpet said:
Good going Deckape!

Might I suggest that you post his business info in the vendor spotlight area (I think that's right?), so others in the area might be inclined go there instead of a box store.

Anyway, good job!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I will. Great idea.

Back
Top Bottom